164TS suspension bottom out (hitting bump stop) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
164TS suspension bottom out (hitting bump stop)

Hi all

My 164TS has a tendency to bottom out when i hit even a slight bump at speed, at that is with 2 people on board. I can barely drive with 4 people in the car...

When i drive on uneven roads, the rear will bottom out far too easily. I dont think its the shocks as it doesnt "bounce" after hitting the bump, just a "thud" sound from the rear when it hit the bump stop and stabilize after that.

Could it be worn springs? (the springs are 17 years old!)? The ride height when stationary looks just right, i.e. it doesnt "sag".

Any one can help shed some light?

1990 164 Twin Spark
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria
Re: 164TS suspension bottom out (hitting bump stop)

My 1990 3 litre 164 did that too. Exactly the same trouble. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old kid and with both of them in the back (they weigh practically NOTHING!) it was still easy to bottom out at the back!

I spent ages trying to find out what was wrong. The springs weren't broken and the dampers weren't leaking. I swapped the dampers anyway and it made no difference. I then swapped the springs for a pair off a scrap car of the same type and age and it still made no difference. Finally, I swapped the springs for a pair off a much newer (1996) 24 valve car and it cured it completely! Don't ask me why because the springs were identical - same free length, same number of coils, same size and wire diameter! Even before I put the struts back on the car I could feel that the newer ones were MUCH stiffer just be leaning on them!

I now have a 164 that rides as high as a Landrover at the back and can carry plenty of load before it gets anywhere near the bump stops!

One other word of warning though. If the long bolts holding the bottom of the struts to the hub casting are seized, it's a PIG of a job!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164ts , bottom , bump , hitting , stop , suspension