Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Amplifier

Tags
amplifier
2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Addey 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Right, now that I've finally taken delivery of my wonderful 166 Super, I'm spending some time getting it absolutly perfect so that I have a benchmark for any future issues.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

One thing that I'd really like to know is if there is a tried and tested method of installing an aftermarket amplifier integral to the ICS system?

I'm no chav, but I am a big fan of classic rock and funk music, and the standard system doesn't really keep up with my preference for a decent level of bass.

Many thanks,
AC.

#2 ·
There are two approaches, fit a DSP amp purpose made for the 166 or the after market amp

DSP

+ original, sounds great, extra equalizer goodies found in menu, plug and play

- PITA to fit as have to take out rear seat, rare, can be cheap or expensive on ebay, need to fit bass speakers in parcel shelf, needs wiring loom addition to work

aftermarket

+ cheap, lots of options, uses cars line out, widely available

- variable amps lead to varying performance, probably still need those additional parcel shelf speakers, not a lot of room to fit behind dash, in boot means long cable runs and still pulling the interior out.

IIRC the issue has been covered in the 166 section but chances are it now sits in the ICE lounge area, so should be stuff on there. Overall the DSP is probably easier as is just a matter of connecting it up, no decision making involved, its all tested and works, but even so the standard speakers are not the best once fitted which you may wish to change as well.

HTH

#4 ·
Thanks a lot. Thats really useful. I actually have the rear speakers in the parcel shelf already, but there is no graphic equiliser page on the ICS, so I'm assuming that I don't have the DSP fitted.

I'm pretty keen on the aftermarket idea. Is there a set of RCA outputs / line out in the back of the ICS?

By the way, Integrales are wonderful, but I'm loving the swift luxury smooth performance of the 166!

#5 ·
not in the conventional RCA sense, no, but one of the plugs would provide inputs into a separate amp.

A thought, generally speaking you only have speakers in the rear shelf if you have DSP, check that the grilles have speakers in, all cars have grilles, most are empty, if fitted then check the boot to see if there is a black box with fins on top of the CD/satnav equipment, if so you have DSP, just needs activation in a sub menu.

HTH

#8 ·
Im in the same boat.

6ch amp, upgrade the front door speakers and a sub in the boot and put some in the rear shelf! Job done!

Also need to find the output on back of the ics, i got the diagram but soooo much effort. But least we can help each other?

How you going to set yours up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.