Summer Sh*t List.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Summer Sh*t List....

Right, light evenings, time to sort those little jobs that got worse over winter and now seem urgent, here's mine, any help greatfully apreciated!

1. Squeaky suspension. This is getting worse, think it's one corner but not sure, disappears after a mile or so, shockers or bushes? Car 'feels' ok but to be honest over time I feel it may have deteriorated a bit ride-wise.

2. Blowing bulbs. Both front sides and dipped beam ones since Jan. Normal? Never had a car blow so many bulbs....

3. Less than smooth when cold. Hard to describe this one, seems to be early morn, certain temps, car starts first turn, still runs very well, but just drives a bit less well than normal, hard to explain, hard to change smoothly, slight jerkiness. Turn off and restart and all perfect. when hot all perfect. MAF?

4. Oil Consumption. I do 500 miles a week, on my second 5ltr since Xmas-ish, reckon I've put 6 ltrs in since then. Reckon that's about a litre ever 1000 miles, gulp!

Depressed now......
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
Re: Summer Sh*t List....

Hi Stek

the good news is that a TS engine is designed to use oil... in fact 1 litre per 1000mls is alright.... But you will probably find it also has an oil leak at the top end...

this might account for the lumpy driving when cold..

If you take off the cam cover and look for the spark plugs you will see what I mean. I have had has 3 TS engines 2 on GTV's and one in a 156 which all suffered from cam cover gasket failure.... over time the spark plug wells fill with oil..

not best pleasant but easy and cheap to remedy..

good luck

Loving being back in alfa ownership!!
AO Member
Re: Summer Sh*t List....

The squeaky suspension could be down to upper arms squeaking. Apparently that is what is wrong with mine,

With the bulbs, make sure the fuses ar all correct as a wrong fuse will cause the bulbs to blow.

With regards to the oil, I haven't put any in mine since I bought it 4 months ago. Oops!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

list , sht , summer