166 wont start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

v6 166

166 wont start

First post- Took my 166 2.5 '99 out for a long run this weekend following some major engine work. Flat battery was helped with a jump. Got back and tried to start it up next day and there was nothing, not even the distinctive sound of the rapid clik from the starter motor telling you there's not enough power to turn it. The only difference on the dash was that the key symbol with "code" appeared. Replaced the battery for new and same warning came up (not flashing and not joined by the inj symbol). Advice from various alfa people has varied from- disconnect battery again overnight or try the second key, none of which has cured it. Before I have the car recovered and left in the hands of a major alfa dealership, can anyone suggest any cures? If it's immobilised itself does this cut the power to the starter motor and throttle, both of which are silent?
Regards to all
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Re: 166 wont start

Hello mate, I had the same thing once

you never know, might be the same.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Check the connection of the leads to the battery terminal posts in the boot. Mine had broken on the positive terminal (there are two thin metal bands). It is a fiddly assembly and, if the contact/connection is not good enough, then you won't get power to anything.

This happened to me, got a new second-hand positive terminal connector and it's been fine ever since. A new one from Alfa was over £100 as it came with some wiring etc - scary price!
AO Member
County: Roma

ciao to everybody from Rome

i've this problem with my 166 3.0 sportronic CF3

the engine won't start with warm weather!! no problem in winter but in summer with the key in start position and check lights on there is no starter movement!

one guy did an electric jumper with a switch from the fuse box straight to the starter and in such situation (warm weather+not starting) i push that switch and engine run!!!
i already changed the key switch with no success
i suppose it can be some relays or something that get hot and cut the electric connection between the key switch and the starter engine.

any idea?

sorry for my poor english
thanks e Forza Italia

Last edited by alfa166_3000; 14-06-08 at 18:37.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , start