164 Fuel Smell in Cabin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Red.

164 Fuel Smell in Cabin

Just getting to know my 164 Super, v6 24v. Its got an intermitent problem, but a bit of a worrying one. Every now and then, and for no real reason, there is a slight smell of fuel in the cabin. Starting up, waiting at the lights, even when driving. Goes away after a bit again. On walking round the car, the smell is particularly strong around the front drivers side.

Is there any common problem with fuel lines on the 164? Any weak point that is best to check first? All guidance gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 164 Fuel Smell in Cabin

I had split fuel lines in the engine bay on my TSpark. I seem to recall reading that it's a problem on the V6 too, but it's not happened to me. The QV did have a problem with a petrol leak from the tank and had to have that taken out and can't remember what was wrong with it, but that's been sorted now.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Fuel hose is a common failure. Suggest you run fire the old girl up and check the fuel hose route from rear to front (or vice versa) checking for a smell and leak carefully.

Age related degradation of the fuel hoses is VERY common on the 164 (and indeed on most cars that use the same hose)

You need to check and change the high pressure hoses on the fuel injector rail in the engine bay. The difficulty is they leak, but you never spot it as the fuel evaporates as soon as it meets the air. A number of V6s (in particular) have set themselves on fire this way. Also beware not to use jubilee clips. You need the proper Bosch clips which a) hold the pressure b) do not nip/crush the hose and damage it. Don't use cheap hose. Get the real thing.

The other hoses that go are the ones to the fuel tank behind the rear seat. You will need to go on the 164 website or do a google as I've never done this job, but their degradation is also responsible for fuel smells in the cabin. They are a bit of a pain to do, but are doable without vast expense.

Hope this helps

Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

The two fuel lines that I've read about (and inspected) are the ones where the rigid pipes end, on the bulkhead, just above the steering rack. There are two short flexible sections that leak.

These are almost impossible to see from above with the engine in the car. Your best bet is to remove the rear section of the front-right-wheelarch liner. Somewhere behind the power steering pump, you will spot the two lines. Failure was a common weakness noted on the 164 Digest (old message board). I would inspect with a powerful LED torch, looking for traces of moisture.

The fuel lines to the fuel rail already mentioned are, of course, another culprit - and much easier to get to. AlfaLincs is certainly right about the fire risk. When I dropped in to see a retired fire-fighter friend of mine, he said "Mmmm - 164, these burn well, over-represented in vehicle fires considering the tiny number on the roads"...

Member car:

Alfa 164

I recently replaced the fuel lines in the engine bay, 4 off, as my twin spark spewed fuel after being started up for the first time in a year. Make sure to remove the fuel pump relay when the engine is running to depressurise the system!!!
AO Member

The pressure regulator is also prone to leaking. This is on the right as you look in the engine bay at the end of the rail.

It is not always evident so wrap a small piece of tissue round it - underneath where it bolts on - you will see the evidence of a leak by colour and smell. If it is this, you can try re-using the copper washer by sweating it. It will then expand with the heat (use a kitchen blow torch) and recompress, you should just pinch it up otherwise the problem will return . This old carb man's trick usually works - but only once!
AO Member

Member car:

1995 2.0 TS 164

In agreement with others I would confer you have a split hose. I had same problem, was so bad other motorists smelt it too. Quite obvious when inspected was spurting out from a small split in the hose under bonnet. No a great problem to fix, just do it now!
AO Member

Split fuel line hoses are due to poor maintenance. Any rubber or composite fuel line should be replaced within five years. With the increase in under bonnet temperatures due to global warming, I would want to shorten this to three years years but then Ive seen too many under bonnet fires over the years caused by this very problem.

The rear lines at the pump should IMO be changed just as frequently.

If you do replace fuel lines, do not re-use the clips as they can distort on re-tightening. It is best to use copper wire (at least two turns) instead of clips as you will then equal tension all the way round. Small jubilee clips can distort or go a bit oval.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , cabin , fuel , smell