- Left-turn indicator doesn't cancel (I think I saw this somewhere on here?)
there is a solution here somewhere, mine just started to do that, I'm still not sure if I'll fix it or will get used to it:-)
- Central locking doesn't operate off either front door.
Try the wd40 solution (spray down where the door pins are), if this doesn't solve the problem, remove the door carpet and have a look at the small motor / lifting mechanism if it works.
- Key button locks the car remotely, but won't unlock. However I worked out a way to unlock the back doors - unlock a front door with the key, leave it ajar, and then lock remotely. All doors lock and then unlock, due to the door left ajar...
hopefully this is related to the 1st problem and will be fixed when the central locking is fixed
- After switching headlights on, bulb failure warning light comes on, then goes off after a while.
this will be very easy (well, at least cheap) to fix, check for blown bulbs, inlc. the parking lights and the numberplate lights too (2 at the back)
- Windscreen washer pump runs but water emerges from under car and not from jets (!)
slipped pipe? don't remember if anybody else had this problem, hopefully just have to find the pipe and put it back
- Air conditioning doesn't cool the air, but does make a 'fridge' sound from the vents, so probably not far off working.
this might be expensive, I'm sure you have air con experts there to pressurecheck/refill the system. if that won't fix it, then start saving:-)
- Stereo seems crackly but I can't pin it down to any one speaker and some music types seems to play better than others. The CD changer seems to work fine, though skips due to the shakes/shudders.
is it the same for the radio?
- Interior lower plastics (around the handbrake lever, glovebox lid) are sticky, and scratched all over - looks like a taxi. Suspect I may have to use paint thinners to remove the remnants of what was a luxurious coating (164 roof console, anyone?) and respray with matt-finish paint.
or get one from the breakers, just make sure there's no blood on it
- Engine torque reaction rod bushes completely shot, which probably explains the knocking sound on acceleration.
- As mentioned above, I'm disappointed with the fidgety ride of the suspension. There seems to be a shudder set up through the bodyshell - is it rigid enough? (Has anyone here driven an '80s FIAT Croma... the poor cousin of the 164?) Every slight imperfection in the road affects the course that the 166 takes - it doesn't 'glide' like my 164. I actually don't look forward to corners as I know they will be a series of sideways jerks and tugs at the wheel - a pretty sad state of affairs.
As I said in another topic, I think the best suspension is the Bilstein B6 or the Koni FSD dampers and the facelift TI srpings. I was driving a 3l Super with the B6+TI combination, and it was great.