166 Elec prob - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

2000 166 2.0 ts

166 Elec prob

All was fine with my new 166 until a week ago.
Whilst driving during the day with may radio on(loud rock music lol), the radio went dead then came back on really quiet. Then i noticed that the rear window demister wasnt on(it was switched on). So I pushed the button and the icon on the screen showed it to be on, then within a second it went off again. A couple of pushes later and it still kept switching itself off???
Anyway, I thought that perhaps it had blown a fuse...no problem...I thought. As I continued my journey (now getting dark), I switched from my sidelights to main beam....No worries....However people behind me started to flash their lights at me, so I dutifully pulled over and noticed that my rear reds had stopped working. However my front mains were. So a quick check at the road side of the lights and connections revealed no bulbs were blown(at the rear).
I limped home with my hazards on.
The following day I had a good look and noticed that if I turn the light switch to main beam the rear reds dont work, but if i switch to park mode, they do??? Also I now dont have any fog lights(they worked before). If I put the switch to side lights only, none of the lights work(front and rear).
I can drive on the park setting with front side lights and rear reds, but the dashlights dont come on.
My auto electrician has checked the switch and connections, but does not have the correct equipment to do a full check and is now saying it has to go to alfa for a diagnosis, however i cannot afford to remorgage my house to pay for this.
any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: 166 Elec prob

sounds like a relay has popped somewhere....not sure where though as there are quite a few!
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

SAAB 9-5 2.3t

Re: 166 Elec prob

It might be a good idea to work your way round and check the earths,however I would check ALL the connections from the battery
terminals as I know these are prone to failure,my positive terminal on
my first 166 came loose and although it started and ran fine it threw up
all sorts of problems,until I clamped it up really tight and all o.k
after that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

166 , elec , prob