164 12 valve power output - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria
164 12 valve power output

I just thought I'd mention this if anyone was curious. I went to a rolling road day on Saturday with my brother who has a Nissan Skyline. For a bit of a laugh I put my old 164 on there - (12 valve V6 of 1990 vintage with just over 230,000 miles on it)!

It gave 154bhp at the wheels - which I thought wasn't half bad for the old shed after 17 years of gratuitous abuse! (well, OK, maybe at least SOME of the previous 7 former keepers might have looked after it)!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders
Re: 164 12 valve power output

38 bhp loss for 17 years is not bad at all. looks as if the old girl is in rude health and wouldn't take much to return to prime (the v6 is effectively endlessly rebuildable).

Hope mine is somewhere near that at that age!!! (I mean power loss!)
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Originally Posted by James76 View Post
38 bhp loss for 17 years is not bad at all.
It's less than that though as that's at the wheels.

I was going to say, if thats the at the wheels figure then the engine is doing very very well and can't be far off the original flywheel quoted power .Excellent!

AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

Good news - A real thumbs up for the classic Arese V6!

I read this thread recently - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...-car-have.html (How much BHP should my car have?)

Surprised at the comments near end stating that cars are within a range of figures +/-10% of the actual quoted BHP. Mine is going really well - Maybe it is 264bhp?
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Cumbria

Thanks all.

Yes, I have to say I was rather pleased!! There was a fair bit of smoke coming out of the back but other than that it seemed happy. it does get through a fair bit of oil these days. Even better was the fact that mine cost me £300 and my brother's Skyline cost him £10k with the full "Nagasaki" body kit and only had 171 at the wheels! Neddless to say, I've been ribbing him mercilessly over it ever since!

I don't have an accurate figure for transmission losses but I'd guess at 20% for a front wheel drive so maybe it's not lost too many in its old age.

I'm surprised at the tolerance quoted on that other thread though. When you think that at 150bhp it could be 15bhp down - that must mean that some cars need a "re-map" just to bring them up to standard! I'd have thought that in this day and age they'd be able to get them closer than that!

Also, it's not strictly true that there is no legal requirement. There's a legal requirement to measure the engine power as part of the type approval process. Directive 80/1269/Ec gives all the details. That power will be quoted on the vehicle's Certificate of Conformity which every manufacturer is obliged to make available on request (although some charge for it). For the duration of the production run, the car manufacturer is obliged to demonstrate "conformity of production" to the authorities issuing the apporval. They are obliged to test random engines in production and the power they get must be within +/- 5% of what is quoted on the approval or the approval can be withdrawn and they're not allowed to build cars until it's sorted!

(of course, MY 164 was built long before that came into effect, so they might have lied their teeth out - but it doesn't appear to have been the case)!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

164 , output , power , valve