More worn rear tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
More worn rear tyres

Just got my alignment checked after discovering very heavy wear on rears and generally experiencing a lot of lateral float on certain road surfaces and bumps. Turns out the rears were way way out. Up to 5 degrees each side

The tyre centre put the rears on 0 ie parallel toe in; the manual says 1.5 +/- 0.5mm iirc. The guy said that because the bushes etc had been forced over so many degrees you can expect the system to pull back in a bit so the 0 degrees would change towards the book's 1.5 degrees. I'll go back there for a free check up after doing 500 miles but can anyone confirm the pull back is likely to happen?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Re: More worn rear tyres

so it was simply the tracking then ?

mines well bandy at the back too
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Seems so. Haven't taken it for a long run to feel it properly yet but will do at the weekend.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Paul S mine is a 166 3.0 x reg and had the tracking done about this time last year after severe inside edge front tyre wear and whilst the tracking alignment seemed to help handling and wear it seems it has gone back to wearing abnormally, the tyre alignment chap said it may be worth changing the front tyres left to right to even any wear out say after 5k miles but i haven't bothered i have put about 11k miles on the clock since then, reminds me need to check my tyres! I think the longer term solution is powerflex bushings front and back and there is also another bearing / bush the guys have identified as a mercedes part which needs replacing i believe on the rear suspension arms, i'm not that technical but search the 166 posts for it. The cost is £125 for bushes and the bearings but obviously add a little labour as you need a press for the bushes. I reckon it will feel like a new 166 again...

Missing my 166 3.0 Lusso Sportronic
Seeking 159 2.4 Lusso ready for F1 remap

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

rear , tyres , worn