Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Changing ICS illumination colour

3K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  black-cat 
#1 ·
You ever get that feeling you should never have started a job?

My ICS is spread out around my desk in a multitude of bits and small piles of screws. I'm hoping I can put it back together and still have it work....

All the LEDs are surface mount, not an issue for me as I'm used to dealing with SMT parts. There is a LOT of soldering to be done :eek: This is not a job for the faint hearted.

Anyone got a spare? ;)

I'm also looking at a slightly improved tape input reuse wiring. I can't find any of my old tapes to test with, does anyone know if you can turn off the Dolby noise reduction on the tape player?

#3 ·
Yeah look a little bright compaired to the subdued light of the green ones. How did you find de-soldering the old ones and fitting the new ones?
I've had my ICS apart too, to see if you can fit a touchscreen overlay infront of the screen, but so far haven't been able to source a 5" sized one. The idea in the end is to connect up an incar computer, as seen it done before, but as a complete new build in the dashboard. But hopefuly an interesting future project. So if anyone knows where you can get 5" sized touchscreen overlays with usb interface that would be a good start!

#4 ·
I'm used to SMT soldering and these LEDs are huge compared to what I normally deal with :) Plus having 2 soldering irons helps a lot. Got some much dimmer LEDs to try.

I've also looked into 5" touchscreens and drawn a blank.

My current project is to get the ICS to switch to the video input and not change audio source.

#6 ·
It is a cool project to change the smt leds, will give you a unique look to your interior.
Bit disappointing to know you've drawn a blank too with the touch screen overlay. I still have a couple of leads left, through some manufactures, to see if they supply or make to order the right size to fit. It’s not lost cause yet and good to know I'm not the only one with mad ideas! As I realy fancied using 'Centrafuse' as the front end interface, although I did read on a user forum someone using a 3d mouse to control, looks a bit like the BMW idrive controler, just much cooler!

#10 ·
On another upgrade possibility was looking at the 147/156 steering wheels with audio controls, and they look the same as those fitted to the later f/l 166. Just wondering if it they are interchangeable, albeit with having to change the mounting boss, for the additionl contact points for the wiring. Would be intersting to know as there seem to be plenty of 147 being broken for spares about. Any thoughts on that one anyone?

#16 ·
Let me know what kind of price if you get one. Might do the trick as don't need edge to edge touch anyways. That a bare overlay or including usb interface?
Trying to find inexpensive and practical ways of switching screen inputs from standard to 'other' while still keeping full operation of standard unit, as if you'd just pressed from 'audio' to 'nav', just an extra button to computer. Something like this american project, albeit it already had touchscreen as standard.
2006 Acura TL OEM Navi Touchscreen Integration - MP3Car.com
But good site for some inspiration. Think we'll have to start a new thread for this project.

#21 ·
Yeah I've got one eventually. Its not a bad system, just a little dated now compaired to some of the 3d type ones.

Anyways the spec for the ICS screen are:

Resolution, 230 vertical pixel by 320 horizontal pixel (about 7.5 x 10.3 cm) and RGB (red, green, blue) line configuration;
analogue RGB interface (true colour);
back-light, type CFL 250 cd/m2 with white presentation;
surface with scratch-resistant and non-glare coating;
contrast, minimum value 50:1.

#25 ·
No, so may just leave it alone. I'm hoping I can use a switching input, using the sat unit wiring for the RGBs, here's the wiring pinouts

Navigation b external connector pin out (in the luggage compartment)
1, Earth supply (terminal 31)

2, On signal from ICS

3, Signal from vehicle speed sensor

4, Reverse gear

5, Serial interface with ICS (reception)

6, Spare

7, Serial interface with ICS (transmission)

8, Video interface (red)

9, Video interface (green)

10, Video interface (blue)

11, Spare

12, Spare

13, Audio earth

14, Battery (terminal 30)

15, Spare

16, Spare

17, Spare

18, Spare

19, Dimmed lighting (terminal 58d)

20, Spare

21, Spare

22, Video interface (earth)

23, Video interface (synchronization components)

24, Spare

25, Spare

26, Audio line outlet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.