Which Diesel is best? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes

AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
Agreed 100% - the 5 cylinder engine is a peach. I have a 5 cylinder fiat coupe 20v turbo as well - I do love a 5 cylinder and I too am not looking forward to heaving to change to a 4 in future - unless I do well enough to afford the guilia 510 hp jobbie
Yep, I do love the torque from my 2.4, it's bettered quite a few fast cars on A Roads. As said above, i can be going fast about 50 over limit) on motorway without realising!
I think I'll wait for the 280BHP giulia petrol one though I'll miss this beast...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Yep, I do love the torque from my 2.4, it's bettered quite a few fast cars on A Roads. As said above, i can be going fast about 50 over limit) on motorway without realising!
I think I'll wait for the 280BHP giulia petrol one though I'll miss this beast...
280?! thought the best petrol short of the v6 was the tbi at 240??
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
tbi isn't going in the giulia

Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
tbi isn't going in the giulia
hmmmm....dont know where I read that then...or if I even read it at all!

either way, I don't recall a 280hp option being available? would be good though
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

According to Wikipedia, there will be a 2.0 with 276 hp.

I however mentioned this to my local dealer, who said that the information was wrong - there will be a 2.0 with 250 hp, with a Canadian version of the same car/engine with 350 hp. He said that that would be a collectible, as the numbers of this engine/set up would be the most limited (not including the QV, of course).

However, I don't know what to think.. better just wait and see what the main AR says in a few months.
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
hmmmm....dont know where I read that then...or if I even read it at all!

either way, I don't recall a 280hp option being available? would be good though
I spoke to the guy at Goodwood and he said that there definitely would be one, but not until early next year. didnt mention anything about it being a special edition?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
I spoke to the guy at Goodwood and he said that there definitely would be one, but not until early next year. didnt mention anything about it being a special edition?
ah right, well...i've only just gotten my 159....so maybe in 5 years time or so I'll get a Guilia by which time bugs and the experience of others shall adequately inform my choice!
AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
My remapped, de-EGR'd 2.4 (255/360 allegedly) has great torque for overtaking, but its heavily dependent on the slow-spooling turbo being up to speed. When pulling away from lights, or if I need a quick overtake, I'll clutch in, bring up the revs till the turbo gauge shows at least 0.8-1.2, then release the clutch. Presto, Launch Control!
The noise is easily the best diesel engine I've ever driven.
Looking forward to the 2.0 Giulia, but more realistically, the Jag XE looks more likely.
MalcQV likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by casesensitive View Post
My remapped, de-EGR'd 2.4 (255/360 allegedly) has great torque for overtaking, but its heavily dependent on the slow-spooling turbo being up to speed. When pulling away from lights, or if I need a quick overtake, I'll clutch in, bring up the revs till the turbo gauge shows at least 0.8-1.2, then release the clutch. Presto, Launch Control!
Looking forward to the 2.0 Giulia, but more realistically, the Jag XE looks more likely.
Jag XE is also a very tasty car
AO Member

County: -kent
2.4 for me all day long.
Larry92 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
I've had been informed that without DPF delete those figures are difficult to achieve?

I've noticed away from the lights if your in a bit of a hurry can be a bit underwhelming. I thought that maybe my EGR was playing up (and it probably is) but I find for a quicker get-a-way you have to rev it a bit. I feel a bit of nana doing that though
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
I've had been informed that without DPF delete those figures are difficult to achieve?

I've noticed away from the lights if your in a bit of a hurry can be a bit underwhelming. I thought that maybe my EGR was playing up (and it probably is) but I find for a quicker get-a-way you have to rev it a bit. I feel a bit of nana doing that though
well if it's an auto then you have the added inefficiency of power transfer through the torque converter....and the gearing is quite long in Alfas - so you can beef up the power but you'll still be at a disadvantage off the line against something with shorter gearing...adding 20% torque to your car at the wheels through engine improvement is easily wiped out by a 20% shorter gearing of the beemer next to you for example
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I think all Diesels are a bit slow off of the line.

You have relatively few revs to play with, and that makes 1st gear seem very short.

Also the engine is relatively slow to spin up compared to a petrol, and the torque gives little help because if you really go for it the wheels just spin.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Mine is not an auto and neither am I that bothered about Traffic light GP. Just something I noticed and at the time it was a very quick off the line BMW.. i3
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
Mine is not an auto and neither am I that bothered about Traffic light GP. Just something I noticed and at the time it was a very quick off the line BMW.. i3
yeh off line is just a good way to knacker clutches and tires

30 to 50 and 40 to 70 are much more important to me and in that range the 2.4 is a powerhouse
MalcQV and Jimbon1973 like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gear (to protect the drivetrain) and as more will just end up with spinning tyres. Q4 could launch faster but is heavier...
Larry92 likes this.
AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gear (to protect the drivetrain) and as more will just end up with spinning tyres. Q4 could launch faster but is heavier...
That makes sense, 1st definitely feels like it runs out a bit... artificially. Plus, at my NCT (Irish MOT) it weighed in at a beefy 1,723kg, so lots of weight to overcome.
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Garage
Quote:
That makes sense, 1st definitely feels like it runs out a bit... artificially. Plus, at my NCT (Irish MOT) it weighed in at a beefy 1,723kg, so lots of weight to overcome.
I've had 2 159 ti's, one a 1.9 and the other a 2.4.

2007 159 2.4 - 42.3mpg
2008 159 1.9 - 43.9mpg

mpg wise the 1.9 is better in town, but they are similar on the motorway. I didn't keep the 1.9 long. I think the 2.4 is worth the difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
diesel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page