Subtle Custom Mudflaps Build - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Subtle Custom Mudflaps Build

For a while now I have been thinking to protect the front wheel arches from stones and dirt flicking up and causing more paint chips and surface rust. But the mud flaps on the market are expensive and far too big. I didnít want something that would spoil the look of the car, after all the Brera isnít a rally car. I also wanted to allow space behind the flaps so water doesnít sit in-between the two surfaces a rot the arches.
I decided to make a set of my own.

00.jpg

Not bad I donít think, but Iíll look to make some improvements, mainly in the spacing.

Iíve documented the install if anyone is interested in doing something similar. Sorry I didnít think to document to initial stages of making the mud flaps.

I started out with two rubber strips, 100mm x 330mm x 3mm.

20160702_122153.jpg

Then cut them to match the profile of the bodywork around the wheel arch.
After cutting the shape, the mounting points were marked and cut. Leaving me with the raw flaps.

01 raw flaps.png

I decided the only real option would be to fix the flaps to the wheel arch liners. They felt sturdy enough for the job, although I thought it was too much effort removing the liners to fit the flaps with nuts and bolts so I needed to find a way to screw the flaps directly into the liners, without the need of a bolt on the other side.
The best solution I could think of was to drill holes in the liners and fit grub screws with internal treads as well as huge external threads.

02 Flaps side.jpg

The hope was the large treats would cut their own threat in the liner, with the thread being large enough to give a secure fit. I had thought I might need to put some superglue on the thread but it turned out the grubs were easily secure enough without.
Once fitted, the internal threads of the grub screw would allow me to use a bolt to fit the flaps, also making it easy to remove them if I need to.

to be continued...
giblets46 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
I also used some nylon spacers, to fit between the arch liners and the flaps, to ensure a good gap between the flaps and the arch, to stop water sitting between the surfaces and rotting the metal arch.

02 Flaps side.jpg

03 flaps bottom.jpg

04 flaps top.jpg

I next, made holes in the arch liner. To do this I lined up and held the flap into a correct position and marked through the fixing holes in the flaps onto the liner.
Using a boring drill bit, I made the initial holes in the liner

05 bore head.jpg

06 guide holes.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 02-07-16 at 15:37. Reason: typo
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Holes widened to accept grub screws

07 correct size.jpg

Grub screws fitted

08 lugs.jpg

Now to install the first flap.

09 line up.jpg

Bolts line up with the grub screws well.

First bolt in place with nylon spacer. Left loose so the flap can be swung into place until the other bolts are secured.

10 spacer & fasten.jpg

Second bolt and spacer in place.

11 2nd spacer.jpg
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Final bolts a spacers ready to be fixed.

13 final fitting.jpg

Note two spacers on the top outer edge, the liner seems to be further back in the arch here. A single spacer will mean the flap is held against the arch which I didn’t want.

Flap now in place.

14 finished.jpg

The double spacer is a little too much, I’ll need to reduce the spacing at some point, but this is only to improve the look. I’ll also spray the bolt heads with some black paint too.

To be continued...

Last edited by Mr Flibble; 02-07-16 at 15:38. Reason: wrong images & typo
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 02-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Here are some final pictures with both sides completed.
Theyíre only a very subtle flaps, as I didnít want the rally car look, but wanted some protection.

15 wide view.jpg

16 spacing gap.jpg

17 flap profile.jpg

18 other side.jpg

19 profile.jpg
Philjay50 and b0j4n like this.
Club Member

County: Mid Glamorgan
Garage
Looks good. I have a set of HUGE rubber mud flaps on mine. I might like to fettle then down a bit.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Great idea, where did you get the material from?
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Great idea, where did you get the material from?
Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251969498196

I couldn't find anything suitable at any local hardware stores.

To be honest, i'd be happier if the material was a little more stiff. But it does the job.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Garage
I can't honestly see what protection they offer given that they basically follow the contour of the wheelarch
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealfamike View Post
I can't honestly see what protection they offer given that they basically follow the contour of the wheelarch
Protecting edge of the wing from any more chips and therefore rust which would eventually spread to the outer edge of the wing.

As you can see in these pictures (painted red bits...) mine are in rather a poor condition. Now i have protection i'll get this fixed and not have to worry about it rusting again any time soon
20160702_102151.jpg
20160702_102701.jpg
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Very good

I can see they'll offer a little protection to the paintwork and hopefully keep water out of the wheel arch.
AO Member

Do you think 3mm is needed?

Is the rubber quite dense?
AO Member

Do you think you could put a rivort thread on the wheel arch trim?
AO Member

Also what are the size of the nylon spacers?
(Post Link) post #15 of 27 Old 07-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Also what are the size of the nylon spacers?
3mm isn't required for protection purposes, i chose that purely as it would provide more stiffnss of the material.

I found the spacing was uneven around the arch lining. I used 8mm spacers, but i'm having a selection of sizes made up so i can even out the spacing where needed.

Haddn't heard of rivet thread before but looked it up and yeah that looks to be prefect!
AO Member

So a few days on, how do you think they are performing?

I have decided to give this a crack. I presume you took the wheel off?
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
They're doing very well actually. I was at the NAD on Sunday which involved a little off roading. The flaps kept the dirt away from the painted parts of the arches, showing they're well protected.

I haven't adjusted the spacing yet, but that's purely aesthetic.

I left the wheels on as there was enough space to drill the holes using my dremel. But admittedly it would have been easier without them on.
AO Member

Great news! I am glad to hear they are performing.

I have ordered the parts and hopefully I will fit them this weekend.

I have had the lower wheel arch/skirting reprayed 2 times and I think I am due a third so for £20 or so worth of parts it seems worth it appose to £100 plus each time.

I have decided to get a selection of 3mm to 5mm spacers for tunable.
(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Yes, I'll be wanting to get my arches resprayed now too.

I need to get onto my friend who is supposed to be making my spacers, though I can't hassle him too much as he's machining them for free

I'm interested in seeing someone else's interpretation of this so keep me updated
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post

I'm interested in seeing someone else's interpretation of this so keep me updated
My interpretation of this is helicopter tape, as was originally fitted to the car, just a bit more of it.

Interestingly though, our Z4 has the very same system that you have developed fitted as standard by BMW and you have to accept that, in recent years at least, the Germans seem to know what they are doing.
AO Member

County: -
Just to mention, I used the 159 mudflaps on the Brera, they take very little manipulation to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160515_120740.jpg (101.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20160515_120746.jpg (129.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160515_162943.jpg (172.5 KB, 11 views)
hessian likes this.
AO Member

I have tried the M3 tape, it does work semi well but this area takes such a beating at times (and combined with my skills of putting it on possibly) didn't work that well. In the area of concern for me you really need to take off the wheel arch trim to get a good fit. Over time they do look a little rough too and will need replacing.

I have tried fitting the 159 mud guards to my spider and I thought they looked clumsy and too large for my liking. I am not a fan of edge biter clips to metal work so that put me off them and they would always get knocked when I need to bump up and down curbs. Plus they cost 3/4 times the price of this fix while minimum disruption to the styling lines.

I like the mechanical fitment of these over the 2 other methods.

It is not only the Germans but the rest of the world offer more protection in this area. I have looked at the styling of the cars and the form is designed to accommodate this problem a lot more.

Alfa Romeo gift and curse in the best possible way
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R50MEO View Post
My interpretation of this is helicopter tape, as was originally fitted to the car, just a bit more of it.

Interestingly though, our Z4 has the very same system that you have developed fitted as standard by BMW and you have to accept that, in recent years at least, the Germans seem to know what they are doing.
I have bought some to fit in front of the rear arches, but need to get the road-rash repaired first. I didn't want to use it on the front arches though as I'm worried water might get trapped in and around it leading to rust. Also hence why I wanted flap that would not sit against the metal.

I didn't know that about the Z4 - I've not seen it done at all before to be honest. It's good to know my approach is endorsed by BMW though
AO Member

County: -
I use to have a generic set of mudflaps on the front to protect some new paint I had done along the passenger side. While they did stop the front wheels kicking up dirt all over the doors they looked awful on the car.
The ones you've made look pretty great on the other hand!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
For a while now I have been thinking to protect the front wheel arches from stones and dirt flicking up and causing more paint chips and surface rust. But the mud flaps on the market are expensive and far too big. I didnít want something that would spoil the look of the car, after all the Brera isnít a rally car. I also wanted to allow space behind the flaps so water doesnít sit in-between the two surfaces a rot the arches.
I decided to make a set of my own.

Attachment 666145

Not bad I donít think, but Iíll look to make some improvements, mainly in the spacing.

Iíve documented the install if anyone is interested in doing something similar. Sorry I didnít think to document to initial stages of making the mud flaps.

I started out with two rubber strips, 100mm x 330mm x 3mm.

Attachment 666153

Then cut them to match the profile of the bodywork around the wheel arch.
After cutting the shape, the mounting points were marked and cut. Leaving me with the raw flaps.

Attachment 666185

I decided the only real option would be to fix the flaps to the wheel arch liners. They felt sturdy enough for the job, although I thought it was too much effort removing the liners to fit the flaps with nuts and bolts so I needed to find a way to screw the flaps directly into the liners, without the need of a bolt on the other side.
The best solution I could think of was to drill holes in the liners and fit grub screws with internal treads as well as huge external threads.

Attachment 666177

The hope was the large treats would cut their own threat in the liner, with the thread being large enough to give a secure fit. I had thought I might need to put some superglue on the thread but it turned out the grubs were easily secure enough without.
Once fitted, the internal threads of the grub screw would allow me to use a bolt to fit the flaps, also making it easy to remove them if I need to.

to be continued...
By the way what do you use to cut the material? I was going to use a Stanley knife. I have all the bits and planning to do it this weekend.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
build , custom , mudflaps , subtle