For a while now I have been thinking to protect the front wheel arches from stones and dirt flicking up and causing more paint chips and surface rust. But the mud flaps on the market are expensive and far too big. I didnít want something that would spoil the look of the car, after all the Brera isnít a rally car. I also wanted to allow space behind the flaps so water doesnít sit in-between the two surfaces a rot the arches.
I decided to make a set of my own.
Not bad I donít think, but Iíll look to make some improvements, mainly in the spacing.
Iíve documented the install if anyone is interested in doing something similar. Sorry I didnít think to document to initial stages of making the mud flaps.
I started out with two rubber strips, 100mm x 330mm x 3mm.
Then cut them to match the profile of the bodywork around the wheel arch.
After cutting the shape, the mounting points were marked and cut. Leaving me with the raw flaps.
01 raw flaps.png
I decided the only real option would be to fix the flaps to the wheel arch liners. They felt sturdy enough for the job, although I thought it was too much effort removing the liners to fit the flaps with nuts and bolts so I needed to find a way to screw the flaps directly into the liners, without the need of a bolt on the other side.
The best solution I could think of was to drill holes in the liners and fit grub screws with internal treads as well as huge external threads.
02 Flaps side.jpg
The hope was the large treats would cut their own threat in the liner, with the thread being large enough to give a secure fit. I had thought I might need to put some superglue on the thread but it turned out the grubs were easily secure enough without.
Once fitted, the internal threads of the grub screw would allow me to use a bolt to fit the flaps, also making it easy to remove them if I need to.
to be continued...