Alfa 159 lower wishbone bushings - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By b0j4n
  • 1 Post By b0j4n

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 28-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Montenegro - Crna Gora
Alfa 159 lower wishbone bushings

Hello,
as like the most 159, Brera, Spider owners I did a PU update, did the whole front side (Uper wishbone, Lower wishbone (lower bushing marked with number 3 on the first picture), Anti roll bar). The upgrade is fantastic, also I eliminated all squeaks that I occasionally had. Now I would like to adress the sequent problem, whitch is reflected in squeaking and weakening of two remaining bushings on the lower wishhbone (picture 1 [marked with numbers 1,2]). Lets recapitualte: we upgraded the lower, lower wishbone bushing with a PU one whitch is more rigid than a original rubber one, now we have more stress on the uper lower wishbone bushing, whitch is still from rubber. Te resoult is that we will be changing the mentioned non PU, original bushings (marked on the fisrt picture with 1,2) quite offten, (ofc if We want absolute non squeak ,as well as a flawless operation). There are a few of manifactures that produce the mentioned bushings (1,2), just to mention few: Bilsthein, SWAG ... but there are no PU ones, and I think that the PU bushings (1,2) would round the whole experience of upgrading the Suspension with PU bushings. Also I would like to get Neds insight on this metter, as well as option of making this remaining 2 bushings from PU.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16NHJHgFFmEkeFL3BRguhYfVZQ--60_1.JPG (31.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (34.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (2).jpg (58.4 KB, 19 views)
BobanR and SuperGenius like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ken
AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

Alfa 159 3.2 Q4

Old Engineer and Sizewell to the forum............................................. .................................................. ............
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 29-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Old Engineer and Sizewell to the forum............................................. .................................................. ............
Yes pls ^^

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
But you know I wouldn't take out the compliance of rubber and replace it with plastic. The high frequency absorption would disappear.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 30-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
But you know I wouldn't take out the compliance of rubber and replace it with plastic. The high frequency absorption would disappear.
Actualy, when I PUed my Alfa felt more confortable, regardless PU bushing are more rigid, I think the reason for that is that now the PUed bushings activate the rest of suspension components more quicker, especially the shocks. Now I cant discus about the high frequency absorption, but my first thought is that its carried on other chassis components. As I mentioned in the first post it just is logic to PU the rest of lower wishbone, as we did with the uper one. Because the now the PU bushings does not squeak, the rubber one,s do. Also i think that with the upgrade of the rest of lower wishbone busings, the 159,Brera,Spider would be eaven more precise, as in corners as on braking. And lets just mention the lifetime warranty on PU bushings. Lets spend our time by driving our precious cars, and not vaste it by driving it to the mechanic so often.
Simon159 likes this.

Last edited by b0j4n; 30-06-16 at 11:46.

County: Jerusalem

Member car:

you can buy it from powerflex. they have it all
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-ser...1)-2830/1.html
i have replaced recently the "FRONT LOWER ARM REAR BUSH" and its fantastic
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I wrote to all that I know of, PU bushings manufactuers, POWERFLEX responded and they showed interest in making the bushes, but if I got it writte Ned`s word is the one whitch count. So Ned help us out ^^. In a meanwhile I ordered the bilstein OEM replacement bushings, Old Engineer should be pleased ^^. Now I have a question about the instalation of theOEM bushings> I can`t see any other way but to press in the new bushing in the place, buy using a hidraulic press will we damage the bushing itself ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (20.8 KB, 15 views)
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

New parts arrived. Any news on PU equivalents, Ned >?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viber_image (1).jpg (99.0 KB, 16 views)
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0j4n View Post
New parts arrived. Any news on PU equivalents, Ned >?
Update. It seames that is near impossible to get the new bushing in the lower wishbone, due to the luck of space. Is there anyone who did the lower wishbone bushing replacement >? In any case my mechanic, and 4 other that I went to think it is impossible ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51842925-2130-1-800.jpg (57.6 KB, 9 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , bushings , lower , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page