159 EGR removal to new wiring loom - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-06-16 Thread Starter

County: Staffordshire
159 EGR removal to new wiring loom

Hi all, possibly a little warning, and some guidance appreciated.

About 6k miles ago I had the EGR removed (and mapped out), the guy that did it was a mate so I've no come back...other than a few choice words!

Two weeks back coming home from visiting in Kent and 110 miles away the car (2006 159 1.9jtdm SW) lost power while joining the M1 - no engine lights on I kept driving for another 6 miles until it died.

6 hours and three recoverys later I was home, in need of beers and starving. Suspecting fuel and pointed fingers at the HPFP, nothing obvious and fuel at common rail. Easy start reviled exhaust gas from EGR location, return pipe had ruptured and melted the throttle body. Second hand ones bought and fitted - still not firing. Tried bump starting - warning light indicating CPS - new one bought and fitted. No good - same fault coming up.

Test wire to the CPS bypassing the loom - still not good. ECU removed and tested - showing no physical damage. Car went to a local garage where an auto electrician discovered wires in the loom were melted together a foot towards the ECU from where the throttle body meltdown was.

I have pulled the loom out today, a lot of work to repair especially as I had to cut the ECU plug to remove the loom.

Would anyone have a surplus loom that I could buy? Or suggest a good breaker that may have one?
Any other issues that I might need to prepare for?

What wasn't done ... the exhaust return pipe was left free to vibrate (with EGR blanking plate making it heavier) and not anchored - perhaps to the EGR mounting bolt.

Thanks

ps. yes the EGR had been mapped out - so why did I blank it? Peace of mind and economy is low 36 mpg so, thinking for a few quid it might help!!! haha - lessons we learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Stirling
Why did you have the EGR removed? Only need the blanking plate fitted and then mapped out, leave the EGR valve in place.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter

County: Staffordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito_No3 View Post
Why did you have the EGR removed? Only need the blanking plate fitted and then mapped out, leave the EGR valve in place.
The blanking plates I received are too thick about 5mm this meant the EGR wouldn't bolt to inlet manifold as they are long bolts and weren't biting. Guess only the return pipe needed the blanking plate.

Has been interesting/nightmare, loom is on, 2 injectors were giving faults...second hand ones from local Alfa guy then cleaned them in ultrasonic bath. Fitted these with new seals, still not firing and despite battery cattle trucked fuel pressure only showing 6 bar when battery boost connected. No fault codes showing...

Any suggestions/tests to try are most welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , egr , loom , removal , wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page