Dashcam - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vromm

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 JTDm

Dashcam

Hello , anyone fitted a dashcam to your 159 ? Any issues with it , interference with any other device , radio etc ?
Rossorichie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
There's no issue with interference.
You just need a switch 12V supply.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
My front and back screen E Prances still work fine, although closing the rear tailgate on her hatchback sometimes upsets the date recording accuracy?

Apart from that they are great! :

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

I have a mini 0801 and wired it to a switched ignition live in the roof consul and earthed it on the mounting screw.
No issues, nice ant neat as it fits easily behind the mirror so you cant see it when driving.
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

I have a Chinese dash cam on mine,

It was going to wire it into a switched live but in the end I just used a long usb lead to power it from the USB port in the glovebox (I never use it for anything else anyway)

I stuck the camera behind the rear view mirror (on the passenger side of the screen) so it doesn't distract me/get in the way fed the cable up over the sun visor and then under the rubber stip down the door edge. Thought the glovebox and into the USB port, I had to blank off the 2 contacts in the middle of the USB connector (so the camera doesn't think it's plugged into a computer, it just sees a power connection rather than a data one, I just folded a bit of paper over the contacts)

The camera comes on everytime I open a door or turn on the ignition so I dont even have to think about it.

It hasn't let me down yet and cost me less than 15 all in (including a 16gb memory card)

If anyone is interested drop me aline and I'll put all the facts and figures into a tutorial.

I also bought the same cameras for my Wifes Captiva and her parents 3008, the instals are all much the same so the cameras start recording when the ignition is switched on they record for about 1 1/2 hours in 3 minute chunks (on a 16Gb memory card), then start to overwrite the oldest chunks. you can either unplug them or press a button on them to stop them overwriting the current recording in the case of an accident, they also record audio so if you do have an accident you know what you were talking about at the time. (might be useful to prove you weren't on the phone?)

Axe
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159ti

I've one of the tiny 0801 Chinese-made dash-cams that you can buy off eBay from around 15. Small enough to fit snugly up by the rear-view mirror and works well enough! Works pretty much as per FiremanAxe's description, recording in 5-minute chunks onto a removable mini SD card.

The only issue was that having deliberately bought one without a display, I needed to plug a screen into it in order to set it up properly and reduce the sensitivity of the crash sensor....potholes and Ti suspension were making it think I was crashing daily!!! I've now hooked-up a separate 3.5-inch screen that I've custom-fitted within the passenger-side sun-visor in place of the mirror and I can easily review footage there now if needed rather than ping the SD card out.

My insurers offered a discount on my annual renewal if a dash-cam was fitted so well worth it in my view!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I had a Transcend Drive pro 200 in my G for a while. it was great whilst it worked, but after about a month it decided to stop writing new files over the top of the oldest ones. So the card would fill up and then after that you wouldn't capture anything. That was despite the fact it appeared to be working fine.

I missed a whole trip to wales including a drive around Snowdonia.

According to the book I tried resetting it to factory, reformatting the card etc

I haven't bothered replacing it yet, but will go cheaper next time (cost me 80)

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall, especially if it catches fire.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Avon
I have a duel channel blackvue set up. Dead easy - forward camera behind the rearview mirro, and rear facing camera at the tope of the rear windscreen. I have the power and second camera wire running up behind the head lining and under the rubber strip which lines the door lining. Just traced all the way round and plugged into the 12v power socket in my boot.

mine is a sportwagon so bit easier in that regard for the rear camera and rear 12v socket.

camera comes on automatically with key in the ignition
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
I have a mini 0801 and wired it to a switched ignition live in the roof consul and earthed it on the mounting screw.
No issues, nice ant neat as it fits easily behind the mirror so you cant see it when driving.
After reading your post and checking some youtube reviews I went for the same one (going to be delivered next week) so thank you for sharing the info.

Also your way of getting it powered seems neat and fuss free but what have you used for power supply in terms of the dc adaptor? Have you dismantled the cigarette light adaptor and wired in or have you purchased a separate 12v adaptor?
Hope I'm making sense.

Many thanks
Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

Garage
This is the type of converter I used for my 0801 style:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HitCar-Inve.../dp/B00U2DGLCQ
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
This is the type of converter I used for my 0801 style:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HitCar-Inve.../dp/B00U2DGLCQ
Cheers for that !
Placed the order so looking forward now to next week.

Have you had the circuit fused as well?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

Garage
Yes, defiantly go with a fuse.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
dashcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page