Back in an Alfa!!!! Also EGR Delete?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fatsweaty

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 12-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Back in an Alfa!!!! Also EGR Delete??

After 6.5 yrs out in the wilderness in a soul sucking 307 HDi that was reliable, economical and oh soooo boring I am back in an Alfa. Bought a rather lovely 159 Ti Sportwagon JTDm and am ecstatic.

A question.....is the EGR delete offered by Autolusso a worthwhile mod or a much of a muchness. I wont be modding anything else for performance gains as its not my thing just for reliability/driveability. So opinions on the previous?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsweaty View Post
After 6.5 yrs out in the wilderness in a soul sucking 307 HDi that was reliable, economical and oh soooo boring I am back in an Alfa. Bought a rather lovely 159 Ti Sportwagon JTDm and am ecstatic.

A question.....is the EGR delete offered by Autolusso a worthwhile mod or a much of a muchness. I wont be modding anything else for performance gains as its not my thing just for reliability/driveability. So opinions on the previous?
Welcome back to the fold

There'll be others to follow I'm sure but I'm totally stock in my 1.9 jtdm 150bhp and it's been great for me. On 117,000 (miles) now doing about 11,000 a year. All is good (although as i type the missus reminds me it's MOT tomorrow - it'll be fine I'm sure).

So my advice for reliability and general driving is see how you go over the next few weeks/months and make a more informed decision then?

PICS please.
AO Member

County: Galway
Garage

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm,2007

EGR and swirl flap delete are a must for diesels,as i know Autolusso are best option if they are nearby to you oh and don't forget to remap your car if you get EGR deleted to get best out of your Alfa

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Not 100% convinced by the swirl flap delete yet, EGR definitely, all that soot going into the manifold is crap long term ( and will help lead to swirl flap failure). It'll also make it more responsive. Think the best time for a swirl flap delete is when you get the cambelt done (as you have to remove it to get the manifold off).
Autolusso do a great service which ever option you choose.
AO Member

County: Galway
Garage

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm,2007

you don't need to remove timing belt to do swirl flap delete.it proves to be a wise step taken if you look at the statistics of diesel engines destroyed by detached flap,
btw they start to fail from about 100k
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 12-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I do around 10000 miles a year, 15 mile commute to work on A and B roads in the country. So no real long periods of short stop start driving.

Not really interested in the swirl flaps removal anyway as have read conflicting results. Still interested in the EGR though, was going to block it myself with a plate with a hole in it so the EML wouldn't come on, but I reckon the Autolusso job is a bit more pro as it were. The dealer did a full service and cambelt/water pump change prior to my collecting so I couldn't mix that in with a flaps delete.

Strangely I don't have any pics yet, unusual for me. Only got the dealer images . Its the 2.4 210 version is Stromboli Grey with standard Ti trimmings, 64k , Black leather interior , tinted rear cabin windows.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
I do around 10000 miles a year, 15 mile commute to work on A and B roads in the country. So no real long periods of short stop start driving.

Not really interested in the swirl flaps removal anyway as have read conflicting results. Still interested in the EGR though, was going to block it myself with a plate with a hole in it so the EML wouldn't come on, but I reckon the Autolusso job is a bit more pro as it were. The dealer did a full service and cambelt/water pump change prior to my collecting so I couldn't mix that in with a flaps delete.

Strangely I don't have any pics yet, unusual for me. Only got the dealer images . Its the 2.4 210 version is Stromboli Grey with standard Ti trimmings, 64k , Black leather interior , tinted rear cabin windows.
The EGR delete is well worth doing, swirl flaps on the 2,4 cause poor running and poor cold start but won't cause a breakdown like they will on a 1.9

Ned
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ned I am booked in for Saturday at 9 for wheel alignment. I Asked Nathan to book me in for EGR Delete at same time. He said it should be OK if time permits it.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Ned I am booked in for Saturday at 9 for wheel alignment. I Asked Nathan to book me in for EGR Delete at same time. He said it should be OK if time permits it.
That will be fine

Lets take a look at the bushes before we do an alignment as if they are worn (they probably are) it is a waste of time and money

EGR delete is straightforward but again lets look at the software version etc

Ned
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well dealer said they serviced it Inc cam belt change so should be tip top..... Though the alignment is because the steering is way off centre. Dealer is going to contribute to cost of alignment as it was missed. Got the car last week.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Well dealer said they serviced it Inc cam belt change so should be tip top..... Though the alignment is because the steering is way off centre. Dealer is going to contribute to cost of alignment as it was missed. Got the car last week.
We will check over it and see what it needs

Dealer & cam belt in the same sentence fills me with dread

Ned
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 13-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Mmmmmmmm I hope not.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

Just curious but how are swirl flaps be done in-situ? I had to take inlet manifold off mine to press in blanks and this was easiest as an engine out
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by no grip View Post
Just curious but how are swirl flaps be done in-situ? I had to take inlet manifold off mine to press in blanks and this was easiest as an engine out
You have to take manifold off to do it properly so best when doing belt or as you say when the engine is out. I don't trust those press in blanks as I have seen them come out, we weld them up

Ned
AO Member

County: Oslo

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I'm thinking about the egr blanking as well, but being in Norway I don't really have the opportunity of driving off to Autolusso and do a remap.

So what are my options, Just use any chip tuning company ? Would prefer that the remap is done to the car, based on the actual car. Not just a file uploaded. But if that is my only option, will it work at all?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychocolate View Post
I'm thinking about the egr blanking as well, but being in Norway I don't really have the opportunity of driving off to Autolusso and do a remap.

So what are my options, Just use any chip tuning company ? Would prefer that the remap is done to the car, based on the actual car. Not just a file uploaded. But if that is my only option, will it work at all?
You can send us your ECU, we can do the delete and map and send it back with the blank plate

Ned
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 18-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well your guys are superb. Great stuff today.
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 05-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Some pics after a deep cleaning session....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0039_1467731457832.jpg (94.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0042_1467731494149.jpg (88.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0040_1467731541024.jpg (77.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0037_1467731577624.jpg (88.9 KB, 15 views)
tony4hop and Jimbon1973 like this.
AO Member

County: Oslo

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
You can send us your ECU, we can do the delete and map and send it back with the blank plate

Ned
Hi Ned,

Any guides on how to remove the ECU so I can send it off?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychocolate View Post
Hi Ned,

Any guides on how to remove the ECU so I can send it off?
No need to send us the ECU anymore as this can now be done remotely

We can send you a lead, software and a blank plate, you can read the file and email it to me, we can make the changes and email it back.

Email me and I will sort it out for you ned@autolusso.co.uk

Ned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alfa , back , delete , egr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page