Window Mechanism/Motor question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

Window Mechanism/Motor question

Hi Guys,

My drivers side front window won't work :-(

I lowered it a few days ago and it went down with no problems, but now it won't go up again :-(

I have stripped it down and thew mechanism all looks good, no snapped wires, the glass is still clamped into the frame.

I can raise the glass by hand and the motor is working. i have removed the motor and noticed that when I press the button to lower or raise the glass the splined plastic bit which engages into he mechanism spins but I can hold it and stop it turning even though the motor is still spinning.

I'm guessing that the splined bit either should not spin independently of the motor or should be a very tight friction fit so that it only spins to stop the motor burning out?

can anyone confirm this for me?

It's much easier to replace the motor than it is the winder mechanism so I'm hoping it's that.
(warranty ran out a couple of days ago and I didn't realise so I'll have to fund this repair myself :-( )

Sponsored Links
County: Great Britain
Hi Axe

Just replaced my rear offside regulator. Similar symptoms, but I found that a bit of white plastic in the bottom of the door interior then when I pulled the inner frame off, the wires werre definitely broken - I couldn't see that until I got the inner frame off.

I bought an OEM regulator off eBay - 39 plus postage.

If your regulator really is fine but the motor spins, maybe the motor screws have come loose (doubtful) or the spines have bust in the regulator or motor.

TIP: when I tried to get the regulator off, I had to break the white plastic clip visible through the little inspection whole. When I put the new regulator in, I had to use some force to bash the new clip up onto the glass, but it worked. When I put the motor back on, I had to do very tiny turns on the motor to align it with the regulator. before tightening up the screws.

Good Luck
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

I'd forgotten I'd posted this,

Thanks for your reply 'second time'

As it turns out I was right in my original post, it was the plastic splined bit attached to the motor that had separated and even though the motor still spun the cogs didn't

Fortunately I managed to pick up a full door panel including motor and speaker for around 30 so I swapped the motor and cogs and all is well again.

(now I have a motor for other projects I will never get round to :-) )

If anyone needs the drivers front door panel (and speaker) with wires etc let me know you can have them for the price of delivery (or collect them for nowt)
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
A good reminder to 'exercise' your windows. Especially the rears that are more likely to rust the cable. I also move the mirrors to their extremities.
I started this process when the SW rear wiper stuck. The water runs down the spindle and it sticks. Having taken it apart and given it an oil bath I now make sure it's used every week.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

mechanism or motor , question , window