Hi Everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice as it was very helpful. I got all of the immediate issues sorted earlier in the summer with MVC as they were the closest and John's a top bloke. Absolutely love the car and when I get around to it I'll probably do a thread with more details on what has been done and what was done by the previous owner, here is just a short* summary in case anyone is interested. (*maybe not so short after all...)
The car is a 2008 red 2.4 Jdtm (210) with two previous owners. Not much info on the first owner as I think they sold the car after 20-30k and my guess is that it could have been a lease or company car. Second owner however kept the car until it had done 121k and I bought it. I think he or she? was a member (and possibly still is) as the car came with an Alfa owner sticker on the window (I just got a new one in the post as it was looking a bit old). Not exactly sure why they gave it up and it ended up being sold by a lovely entrepreneuring couple in Manchester to myself earlier this year... but I can't believe my luck! Whoever owned it kept it in very good shape, I looked at more than 20 159's before I ended up choosing this one.
In case the previous owner reads this I just want to say a massive THANK YOU! - the car is awesome. Thank you for keeping extremely diligent records of all the servicing, for keeping the engine bay tidy and clean (it's shockingly clean) and for all of the maintenance & sensible modifications.
Here is some of the good stuff it had when I got it in at 121k:
- Alfatune remap (not sure what it makes but thank you Gus!)
- DPF and EGR Removal
- Pretty much flawless leather interior
- Stone chip touch ups (although not exactly professional, they have prevented any rust which is the main thing)
- Smooth clutch and gearbox (phew!!!)
- Timing belt and water pump changed (last time at 93K)
- New brake pads
It's now at 127K and here is what I have done so far:
- full service and inspection from MVC thanks to your advice
- front right suspension arm replaced as it was worn out
- rear left spring replaced as it was cracked
- replaced corroded 17 diamond cut alloys with a fellow 159 owner's 17 inch multispokes in great condition - Thanks if you read this BTW, love the wheels!
- Replaced faded badges all around with new Alfa badges (small change but made a big difference to the looks)
- Paint touch up work and polish
- Main and brake light replacement
- General pampering and fawning over the car
- Car managed indicated 50.1 mpg over 50 mile trip to work and back mixed driving (was so surprised I had to photograph this for record, might post because I'm not sure if this normal, probably in large part thanks to Gus)
- Numerous trips through the Peak district (A6024 and Mudhurst Avenue are current discoveries)
- Added Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4 - works great
Here some of what needs to be done and some of what I am thinking of doing, if you have any advice/thoughts please share:
- New glow plugs
- New front grille (already purchased, just need time to fit)
- New shifter knob, boot and hand brake boot
- "Titanium look" interior trim looks green to me and is worn so I am probably going to wrap in 3M exposed carbon for centre console and 3M SP120 brushed aluminum for the rest of trim. Not sure if I will have to sand it down prior to wrap though as it has some texture?
- Paint brake calipers RED
- Full underbody inspection and black anti-rust paint coating
- Ti side skirts? Love the Ti look but I don't want to have to lower the car though because of all the potholes around here.
- Koni coil overs when I need to replace suspension
- Trip to see Gus, possibly get car on the dyno and check tune
- Vossen CVT wheels
- love the look but this maybe a bit more fantasy and I think the ride might be a bit harsh
- Any other mod that will keep it going, it's already at 127k and I am now irrationally in love with it
- Possibly a custom plate so that my CEO doesn't pressure me to get a newer car in a few years time, I'd like to keep it as long as they still sell diesel to fill it up with!