Bera 3.2 Q4 fuel consumption. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By alfaholik
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Bera 3.2 Q4 fuel consumption.

I just thought this may be of interest. Yesterday I took my car to Nottingham. A 190 mile trip. A small amount of country lane and town driving to get me to the motorways. M2, M25 (Dartford crossing) and M1. Roads not known for their free flowing traffic. Long sections of road works on the M1 meant a 50mph limit. To make up time for traffic delays and road works the needle did climb into 3 figures were possible, although mostly it was at 70-80mph. Average speed for the journey according to the trip computer was 60mph. Overall fuel consumption was 29.8mpg. In the 50mph sections on cruise control actual consumption was reading 37-38mpg. Car is standard apart from K&N air filter and Wizard exhaust. If I kept to 50 for the whole journey I am sure it would have been well into the 30's.
So I conclude that the 3.2 is not as bad on fuel as some would have you believe.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Q4

It's terrible on fuel, their might be some circumstances were you get ok mpg but it's all relative. I remember when the cars first came out and was somewhat disappointed at the time, I loved the 70s Montreal and the Brera looked like it could be a modern day version. I liked the looks but the cars were very heavy which affected their performance and Alfa marketed them as sports cars when they were far more suited to being GT's

That said, time will change the way the Brera is looked at and things which are important on new cars become much less so when cars get older and move into the classic world.

The mpg on these cars are poor sorry but their is no escaping that, mid teens around town and if you look at the kind of performance on offer from a lot of cars with these kind of fuel consumption levels you can find some pretty serious performance.

However no one buys classics for fuel economy and running costs or even outright speed, which is why I think the Brera will do much better in the years to come as a classic car than what it did when it was new
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
I'd love to know how to get that kind of mpg in mine.
I get 20mpg average at best!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
I drove mine from Cardiff to Edinburgh. Average MPG maxed out at 20.1mpg ? You don't buy a 3.2 v6 if you're remotely worried about fuel consumption.
I fact getting over 30mpg can't be doing you or your engine any good. Go on live a little. Try to never get above 20mpg ????
dcl likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

i'd go so far as saying, you don't buy an alfa for fuel efficiency.
AO Member
County: Flintshire
Im lucky if I see more than 21mpg even on a run! Do I care though?
AO Silver Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
I've had 30mpg on long (average) speed restricted Motorways - bit boring and not exactly what i got a V6 for.
Most days sees about 22mpg including a bit of "sounds nice at that revs doesn't it"!
That said there are days where 15mpg is all I am going to expect.
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Brera 3.2 S

That's about what I get on mine which has had a remap, I might get 35 on a long run, but then I get bored and boot it for a few miles which wipes that out or someone wants a race normally a Audi driver (no offense!)

I did look into a LPG conversion, really to see how much, and you can get a good one for about 1200 which in a year or so may pay for it's self. According to the Gov LPG price will always be half that of petrol (may have changes now), but if we all converted to LPG I doubt that would stand.

AO Member
County: -
I've no idea what mine gets - not a lot at the moment with the engine out to fix the transfer box/power take off.

Over on the Lancia integrale forum, everynow and again a new owner would pop up with claims of impressive fuel economy . . .which was where they learnt all of them, including UK cars, count kilometers even if the speedo indicates mph.

So divide by 1.6 and they were back in the realm of everyone else- 18-20mpg driven carefully.

The most I ever got out of mine was 25mpg - towing a trailer with my Caterham on to Emerald in Norfolk and back. Couldn't get enough noseweight, so while it accelerated rather well, lifting off caused some interesting trailer dancing - so a nice cruise at 54mph there and back got my 25mpg ;-)
AO Member
County: Bergamo
I get 20 around town, if I'm lucky and no chance to boot it.

I make the trip from Italy to UK and back once a year and this year after new plugs got the best results so far. I touched 30 mpg during the trip through Switzerland ( 120 km max but many 100 km/hr sections ). 130ish through France then usual slog through traffic to the midlands. Overall 26 mpg for the 1500 km.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 30-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
I don't want to be misunderstood here. I was surprised by the figures I got on that trip. I don't normally bother to ckeck fuel consumption. tbh I don't care. The car is the joy whatever it costs. I think that is the first real check I have ever made in the almost 4 years I have owned the car.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

The 2.2 is thirsy enough for me. Generally, I only drive about 100 or so miles a week now so 20 to 24mpg on average is ok. A good thrash around the local lanes can return a mightily impressive 17mpg... I did manage 28mpg coming back from Lincolnshire to Herts last weekend. about 130 miles. Best I'll ever see. Don't buy a Brera for good fuel consumption. Even the diesel I had only averaged around 30mpg on long runs.

Still, I'm on my 3rd Brera now so no complaints here.

I did consider the 3.2 but the upto 3 grand costs for timing chain replacement put me off along with the high cost of road tax.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

bera , consumption , fuel