FK Shock absorbers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 5 Post By Alfa.Romeo
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Exclamation FK Shock absorbers

Thought I'd just post in here in case any other un-suspecting AO'ers have the misfortune of trying out these shocks.

I put on the FK hightec sports shocks on my car last August, alongside Eibach springs to replace the broken Ti springs. Immediately after fitting this combo, I noticed the car ride was more 'jiggly', but more worryingly would bottom out readily. It didnt ride lower, but over deep dips in the road it now becomes clear the shocks were just too weak to take the weight of the front end and would completely bottom out causing a loud bang as they were to weak to control the spring. So, I just adjusted how I drove and went slower over said bumps (much slower)

Around 2 months after fitting them, I started getting a weird hydraulic noise that can only be described as the sound of a gorilla in the front left of the car! Weird, I know. Again, knew the noise was the shock but learnt to live with it.

Then about a couple of months ago I started getting the usual upper wishbone worn noise, so replaced it. Made no difference so I replaced the ARB drop links, no difference. So, replaced the track rod end, no difference. So, replaced the lower wishbones, no difference. (see where I'm going with this?)

So, replaced the shocks, again, with bilstein B4's. The noise is gone and the car handles like it did in Ti guise. Can take the dips in the road that would bottom out heavily at easily double the speed with no drama or indication of bottoming out. On inspection, the FK shocks are completely shot and can be compressed by hand quickly with ease. So making the choice to fit these cheaper shocks has cost me a lot of time and money chasing an anti-roll bar type noise which was the failed 8 month old shock. Buy cheap, buy twice (and possible with big bills getting there!)

Philjay50, Rewe, giblets46 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Sussex
Hi There,

I had a similar rolling noise/knock when on un-even surfaces. I changed the upper arms just over a year ago, no difference, changed the drop links, no difference, changed the duct covers as they were broken, no difference. I have now powerflex'ed the ARB bushes and lower arm bushes. The noise is slightly better but still present on slightly rougher surfaces

Obviously money is an issue, but I'm now torn between replacing the shocks and powerflexing the upper arms. I cannot do both at the moment.

During your saga, would you recommend changing the shocks or bushes? Like I said, the arms are fairly new but I'm not aware of the shocks ever being changed since the car was new.

I know the answer is probably obvious, just after a bit of a reassuring cuddle How long are the original shocks expected to last?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

absorbers , shock