30k mile DPF worth a deep clean? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help 30k mile DPF worth a deep clean?

Hi all,
Putting a DPF back on my Alfatuned 159 as the previous owner took it off - it has taken a fair amount of time to locate one (its a 2.0), but I finally have it so that's a plus! The 'Gus' tune and bypass does offer great performance and economy but the particulate coming out of the exhaust is just not pleasant. I will get the car remapped by Celtic once the DPF is back in as previous experience of their work tells me that they know what they are doing - plus I like having a tune I can alter the map on myself whenever I feel like it.

However, my replacement DPF is not new... it has 30K miles on it, is it worth spending 250 quid plus on a deep clean (as in a proper one, not Halfords)?? I suspect that with these engines the DPF will likely be in good nick anyway, (and the DPF itself cost less than the clean)... would welcome your views!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Sounds pricey to buy a dpf and get it cleaned and then remapped. Are you aware that Autolusso do a new dpf, sensor, remap for about 700? Probably would make more sense to do it that way.

I contacted a dpf cleaning company who ultrasonic ally clean them, but all they said to me was that it's probably better if they source a new dpf. I suspect this is their business plan, get you interested and then try and flog you a new one.

Alternatively, there's the Wurth dpf cleaner that maybe you can spray in your dpf before fitting it. Then do a force regen straight after. It usually goes in through the temp sensor orafice, but you could get it better spread without the dpf fitted.

(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Good advice! DPFs for the common Alfa diesels (1.9 and 2.4) are plentiful and cheap and it would make sense to get a new one in that case. I can believe the Autolusso offer as it can't be hard to exchange on a normal diesel. That whole job is likely under half an hour of labour with the right tools and a lift, I imagine they source the DPFs new for 150 quid, Ned must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Trying to source a new one for the 2.0 engine and you're looking at north of 1500 just for the DPF alone from Alfa. There should be a Vauxhall/GM equivalent or an OEM one out there but despite months of searching I haven't found one, so your only choice is to get one from a breakers or from someone removing theirs. Luckily we're now into the stage of the 159s life where there are some in the scrapyard - mine was 175 quid.

Celtic tuning is actually cheap for me as I already have a e-motion box which means it costs 100 quid for each new car and 50 for each new additional map. The Autolusso/Alfatune/AHM remap is a permanent addition to your car, you have to shell out every time you want to change it. I really like being able to revert to standard or choose eco or fast road (or track) at any time I like. Plug in the box to the car... press program and a few minutes later you're done. I have years of running Celtic maps on other cars and they have always been excellent technically and very helpful.

Moral of the story is of course don't buy a 2.0 car with a missng DPF as it will be a smoker even if it can scrape through MOT tests.

Think I might buy a cheap endoscope so I can inspect the DPF inside...
AO Member
County: Australia

Member car:

159 JTDM

Is it possible to shine a torch in the back of the DPF to see if it is fully caked over? If not, then maybe worth fitting and then doing a forced region and see how it goes.
AO Member
County: Devon
As Al says I've had the dpf clean through the temperature sensor many years ago by Autolusso in Bournemouth.

Another to consider I suppose is terraclean. They do a dpf clean as well. I've not used it nor know how much it costs but watched a couple of videos on youtube of it being done. It seems to eject a foam out the exhaust.
AO Member
County: Nordjylland

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm

30K should be nothing for a DPF...Make a force regen & you should be happy, cant really see your problem since your not mentioning the DPF youf bought beeing blocked?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

30k , clean , deep , dpf , mile , worth