I give up! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes

(Post Link) post #26 of 33 Old 10-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Right, after some more looking at the shock i think the piece of crap FK shock is the culprit. If you hold the shock top where it goes through the top mount you can feel it vibrating as you compress the car suspension. I've ordered 2 x bilstein b4's to replace them
Lord_of_beard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa.Romeo View Post
Right, after some more looking at the shock i think the piece of crap FK shock is the culprit. If you hold the shock top where it goes through the top mount you can feel it vibrating as you compress the car suspension. I've ordered 2 x bilstein b4's to replace them
Failing that have the notorious wheel arch liners broken loose of their fixings and are flapping at a particular speed?
(Post Link) post #28 of 33 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Right, turned out to be the crap FK shocks. The 1 item I cheaped out on and has cost me a load of time and money. Lesson learnt. The car is now silent apart from the load drone coming from a brand new set of front tyres that went on with the wishbones, again another cheap item that's burnt me.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...absorbers.html (FK Shock absorbers)

I think life is trying to teach me something

(Post Link) post #29 of 33 Old 27-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Right, new issue. I've had the tracking re-checked now that I've had the shocks replaced and the figures are way out.

I had the tracking done 2 weeks ago with the new lower arms, and the nut to adjust the tracking is seized solid (I'm now suspicious)

The figures are 1 minute toe out on the front right, and 9 minutes toe out on the front left! I told them to set to Ti original of -7 minutes toe in, so those of you in the know is it possible for the settings to go this far out with just the shocks being replaced?

Thanks
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
if the shocks influence the ride height, yes.... Possible, but very unlikely
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
My B4's were almost a carbon copy of the original springs, apparently a bit stiffer, so I can't see them influencing ride height. Watch for uneven tyre wear at minus 7 minutes- in case you're not aware, a lot of us are at -2 or zero.
(Post Link) post #32 of 33 Old 28-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
My B4's were almost a carbon copy of the original springs, apparently a bit stiffer, so I can't see them influencing ride height. Watch for uneven tyre wear at minus 7 minutes- in case you're not aware, a lot of us are at -2 or zero.
Thanks, i did have it set to 0 before but found it felt more vague so went back to -7. But i really do give up now! Took the car to a tyre firm today for a full geometry set up, but told them that i have had issues before with their machines not having the correct data. I gave him the owners manual and showed him the original Ti spec, and made clear this is what i want it set to. No worries he says. 2 hours later i get a call saying it can't be done as the alignment machine shows different data, in degrees, and they can't understand the book! WTF! I tried asking them to input the data manually, but was told can't be done.... at this point i thought rather than explain minutes to degrees, I'd cut and run because if they don't know these basis that's the least of my worries. So many poor companies out there that claim to do work with very little knowledge.
AO Member

County: East Sussex
Garage
Hi There,

I had a similar rolling noise/knock when on un-even surfaces. I changed the upper arms just over a year ago, no difference, changed the drop links, no difference, changed the duct covers as they were broken, no difference. I have now powerflex'ed the ARB bushes and lower arm bushes. The noise is slightly better but still present on slightly rougher surfaces

Obviously money is an issue, but I'm now torn between replacing the shocks and powerflexing the upper arms. I cannot do both at the moment.

During your saga, would you recommend changing the shocks or bushes? Like I said, the arms are fairly new but I'm not aware of the shocks ever being changed since the car was new.

I know the answer is probably obvious, just after a bit of a reassuring cuddle How long are the original shocks expected to last?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
give

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page