Alfa 159 2.4 jtdm Drive Shaft! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-04-16 Thread Starter

County: UK
Alfa 159 2.4 jtdm Drive Shaft!

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have a question about replacing my o/s drive shaft.

Under acceleration, my car vibrates in a side to side motion, this led me to believe that it was a drive shaft issue.

On inspection, I noticed that both my inner and outer boots were split so the drive shaft ran dry causing some play. I think its beyond the point where I can simply re grease and fit new boots so I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on whether I could simply replace the whole unit or whether there is a certain part I can replace to make the car useable again? How difficult it is to change that side and can I do this myself?

Im going to be replacing my lower swing arm on that side as well so could I do the swing arm first then the driveshaft a little later? I haven't looked under there hard enough to see if the swing arm needs to be removed to get to the drive shaft and I don't want to end up doing damage to the new ball joint if I do the drive shaft later and have to remove the swing arm again?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage
I've got a similar situation. I've had to replace the complete unit as the cup that the spider sits into is worn out too.

On second reading I notice you say offside? My understanding is, from my mechanic, that you cannot buy/he's not been able to source the individual components for the offside specifically.

No idea why...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 20-04-16 Thread Starter

County: UK
Well I think I am going to remove the drive shaft when I sort out my swing arm and see what level of damage has been done.

I'm thinking I will replace the entire unit on that side to see if that cures it because i'm confident that that side is the only side affected.

Its strange that you cant find a replacement just for that side. I am getting O/S drive shaft from an Alfa breakers. (not going to Alfa themselves because I'd need a second mortgage!).

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Did you do the Drive Shaft and did it cure it?
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Did you do the Drive Shaft and did it cure it?
Are you asking because your car has developed the side to side shakes that kick in around 2000rpm in 3rd/4th?
It's happened to me twice in 2 years and both times replacement spider/omocinetic joints sorted it. And poeple say the wishbones are cheese!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Are you asking because your car has developed the side to side shakes that kick in around 2000rpm in 3rd/4th?
It's happened to me twice in 2 years and both times replacement spider/omocinetic joints sorted it. And poeple say the wishbones are cheese!
Perhaps. More like a vibration felt through the seat under load. Usually at 70 MPH up hill. Same in any gear and worse after hot soak. So a motorway stop followed by an up hill cruise at 70 and felt less through the steering. Lifting the throttle kills it instantly and it takes some seconds to reappear when you cruise again.

One of those problems that a garage is unlikely to have time to experience. I hate slow failures. Much better if something just broke.
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Perhaps. More like a vibration felt through the seat under load. Usually at 70 MPH up hill. Same in any gear and worse after hot soak. So a motorway stop followed by an up hill cruise at 70 and felt less through the steering. Lifting the throttle kills it instantly and it takes some seconds to reappear when you cruise again.

One of those problems that a garage is unlikely to have time to experience. I hate slow failures. Much better if something just broke.
I'm pretty certain you've got wear on an inner CV, maybe offside.

I made the mistake of buying aftermarket reconditioned shafts to cure it - that simply replaced a terrible vibration (like an out of balance washing machine) with something near identical to what you describe.

I ended up buying a brand new one for near side, and I'm getting some money's worth of the offside before I take the plunge.

It's worth mentioning that Alfa do reconditioned driveshafts themselves, though you need OE parts to exchange, not aftermarket.....

Anyway, I found that the near side joint I could sense the vibration was off to my left (when in the driver's seat).

Offside shaft sends the vibrations more through my backside in the driver's seat.

I also know it's not the alloys as I have a winter set that I've switched to and my vibrations are unchanged.

I'd wager that if you get a full load and luggage in the car you'll feel it worse or all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AO Silver Member

Good summary. And probably what I have. Just did another high speed cruise down the A3. Hardly noticed on way down but had a 20 minute hot soak at the end. The return journey was as bad as ever (although my passenger couldn't feel it!)

When at its worst the vibration is through seat and floor and slightly less through steering wheel. But another characteristic is that it changes over undulations. So a series of long undulations made it 'siren' in and out with the noise worse on compression.

So it looks like some part of the drive shaft and maybe the off side.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , drive , jtdm , shaft