Exhaust Change on 2.4 diesel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 30Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 72 Old 20-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Exhaust Change on 2.4 diesel

I have seen a huge amount of videos on youtube of Alfa 159's with non standard exhausts sounding quite tasty! Have you had your exhaust changed? How much roughly does it cost? Have you uploaded a video to youtube, if you have can you post a link so we can check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pateman View Post
I have seen a huge amount of videos on youtube of Alfa 159's with non standard exhausts sounding quite tasty! Have you had your exhaust changed? How much roughly does it cost? Have you uploaded a video to youtube, if you have can you post a link so we can check it out!
Recently fitted Wizards (rear sections) on my 2.4, deep tone, sound lovely.
Rest of the system untouched. Good build quality and price; would recommend them.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Silver Member

im hopefully getting some wizard back boxes on my brera. Had a ride in a 2.4 spider with a similar mod, the car howled !!
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 72 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
Recently fitted Wizards (rear sections) on my 2.4, deep tone, sound lovely.
Rest of the system untouched. Good build quality and price; would recommend them.
old smokey , any chance of a recording. Where did you get it installed is it widely available?
As the day goes likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I have Wizard back boxes on my 2.4. They fill the gaps nicely, not Subaruish at all. They give a nice deep sound, I have a sonic boom at about 3000rpm which I love even though it only lasts a second. Absolutely no drone whilst cruising so don't be worrying about that. It's barely discernible from oem whilst cruising and a couple of times I've turned my head in my local town to see what the car is with the nice sound only to see its my wife driving the 159.

I have a couple of vids on YouTube, just search Alafa 159 2.4 wizard back boxes.

I had mine fitted at Autolusso, but anyone can fit them, just make sure they line them up properly so they sit central in the bumper cut outs. They're around 250.
Matt Pateman likes this.

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
I have Wizard back boxes on my 2.4. They fill the gaps nicely, not Subaruish at all. They give a nice deep sound, I have a sonic boom at about 3000rpm which I love even though it only lasts a second. Absolutely no drone whilst cruising so don't be worrying about that. It's barely discernible from oem whilst cruising and a couple of times I've turned my head in my local town to see what the car is with the nice sound only to see its my wife driving the 159.

I have a couple of vids on YouTube, just search Alafa 159 2.4 wizard back boxes.

I had mine fitted at Autolusso, but anyone can fit them, just make sure they line them up properly so they sit central in the bumper cut outs. They're around 250.
Fitted mine myself, nice easy job. The most difficult part was jiggling the old connections free but otherwise an easy DIY task.

Like alcooker says, nice deep tone but not intrusive at all. Paid 295 through memory complete with new clamps. Massive weight saving to - recommend them highly :

Uploading vids is not my strength but I'll have a go and paste the link.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Hi,

Did you guy's buy rear boxes or just the tail pipe sections Wizard offers?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
Just got the Wizard's on my 2.4 last week, fitted at Autolusso.
Bloody love them.
They suit the car much better then the standard rears.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Mine replace the back boxes and tail pipes, I would imagine that's all there available. As in you don't have any back boxes anymore.
(Post Link) post #10 of 72 Old 25-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Alcooker , just seen yours on youtube , the turbo noise sounds great. You say there is no drone that was something that I was slightly worried about when considering a different exhaust, so do you just notice the extra noise whilst accelerating?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yes, if you're in the car, it's just beefier when accelerating, I'd have them off straight away if they were obtrusive when cruising. It's a cheap little mod with a pleasing outcome.
(Post Link) post #12 of 72 Old 25-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Old Smokey , where did you get your kit from? did you just put the car up on some ramps?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pateman View Post
Old Smokey , where did you get your kit from? did you just put the car up on some ramps?
Hi
Wizard Exhausts in Penrith. 07807 035269
Hosted By One.com | Webhosting made simple

I jacked up the rear of the car just to provide a little more clearance. Access was adequate. That said, if you have wheel ramps it might be easier still but not necessary.

Worth giving the connections a good squirt of WD the night before just to help them along.
Where in Kent are you? Welcome to view mine before you buy if unsure.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I was tempted by this as an upgrade to my Brera 2.4 but I just got a quote of 495 from Wizard, not so tempted any more
Philjay50 likes this.

Last edited by hessian; 25-04-16 at 17:20. Reason: typo
(Post Link) post #15 of 72 Old 26-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the tips, how long did it take you roughly, I think il invest in a half decent jack or ramps if im guna do it myself. I am in Canterbury .
(Post Link) post #16 of 72 Old 26-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's alot more than it cost the other chaps!
(Post Link) post #17 of 72 Old 26-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Yes, if you're in the car, it's just beefier when accelerating, I'd have them off straight away if they were obtrusive when cruising. It's a cheap little mod with a pleasing outcome.
Thanks that sounds great. I have a 10 month, old one of the reasons I don't really want a constant drone.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Has any done this to a 1.9JTDM, I'd imagine the 4-pot sounds quite different and I don't want it to sound anymore like a tractor than it already does?
AO Member

It really isn't an intrusive noise at all, slightly deeper in tone on the 2.4 but it certainly does not exaggerate mechanical noise in any way, if anything it help disguise it.

Don't buy this system expecting it to sound like a Halfords special, it really does not. Expect a nice nice tone which is not far removed from OEM boxes but with less weight, better looks and performance.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
It really isn't an intrusive noise at all, slightly deeper in tone on the 2.4 but it certainly does not exaggerate mechanical noise in any way, if anything it help disguise it.

Don't buy this system expecting it to sound like a Halfords special, it really does not. Expect a nice nice tone which is not far removed from OEM boxes but with less weight, better looks and performance.
I've just ordered some for my 2.4 159 from Dan. Roll on the end of May....
OldSmokey159 likes this.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
I'd love to do this but would want to keep the existing tailpipes...

bit of a daft question but I'm guessing that changing them would be the fundamental part of changing the sound?
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Jess View Post
I'd love to do this but would want to keep the existing tailpipes...

bit of a daft question but I'm guessing that changing them would be the fundamental part of changing the sound?
Yes, it would. However, there's very little difference between the "style" or look of the wizard tailpipes. Slightly larger circumference (never thought I'd use that word since leaving school 25 years ago). Someone with them already may be able to tell you the exact difference size wise?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
Check the 2 comparison shots here:
https://www.facebook.com/WizardExhausts/?fref=photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10658670_824673147647740_321922810586738895_o.jpg (82.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 11703530_824673030981085_7344198638783915534_o.jpg (96.4 KB, 53 views)
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBud View Post
Check the 2 comparison shots here:
https://www.facebook.com/WizardExhausts/?fref=photo
Outlets are a fair bit bigger, 4" through memory. Believe standard is 3".
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:

The first batch of 159 pipes we did was 250 a pair, they're 300 a pair now but thats still pretty good value, I don't think there's anyone else out there doing the same thing. We do them for the Brera and Spider now too, but the quad exits and rounded rear bumper they have means there is pretty much twice the fabrication work involved in making them and getting the tailpipes sitting right, which means they are a bit more expensive again. They do look stunning though

(Brera/Spider prototype below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5619.JPG (394.7 KB, 37 views)
OldSmokey159 likes this.

Last edited by Pud237; 03-05-16 at 13:26.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
change , diesel , exhaust