Exhaust Change on 2.4 diesel - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 30Likes

AO Member

County: -
A clip of the exhaust outside of the car would be more helpful/meaningful.

Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Haha, maybe you have to know my wife to see the funny side. Obviously the little video was not a representation of The exhaust. I'm away at the mo, but I'm in Hitchin and anyone is totally welcome to hear the exhaust in the flesh.
(Post Link) post #53 of 72 Old 06-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcooker View Post
Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZGugrao6Q. I'll try and do one when i'm driving. Enjoy. I love it!
Al, I definitely cannot hear a drone, brilliant quote " I don't want to floor it up the hill" I look forward to the next clip.

Thanks

Much appreciated

AO Member

County: -kent
Tried recording sounds in the cabin under normal driving conditions but sound quality was quite poor. I did manage to upload a brief recording of the pipes on the drive which might help https://youtu.be/OfeMGAWnXRU
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #55 of 72 Old 14-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
Tried recording sounds in the cabin under normal driving conditions but sound quality was quite poor. I did manage to upload a brief recording of the pipes on the drive which might help https://youtu.be/OfeMGAWnXRU
sounds good buddy!
AO Member

County: London
I had a local performance exhaust centre make me a custom stainless steel system which replaced the exhaust from the DPF back (due to centre section being very rusty and Y section blowing) and then straight through pipes instead of back boxes. I had the same style tail pipes put on but opted for a 3.5" which is bigger than standard but doesn't look obtrusive.
Total cost inc fitting was £300 however if you just wanted the back box removing and straight through pipes fitting they reckoned it would be £200 - £250.
I listened to all the vids and to be honest the noise was not what I was expecting (all other exhausts I have had done were on petrol cars) but having put some miles on her I really like it. A bit more of a growl on initial startup then quiet, nice subtle roar once driving however the turbo whistle and dump valve chatter are much more prominent at low speeds. That said my car has had a few other mods that may account for that. There is also a significant performance difference as the throttle response is way better, and car seems to want to pull for longer.
Really very impressed considering the price. Even got the original backboxes to keep to either sell on or keep if I decide to revert to standard.
Matt Pateman likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by must go faster View Post
I had a local performance exhaust centre make me a custom stainless steel system which replaced the exhaust from the DPF back (due to centre section being very rusty and Y section blowing) and then straight through pipes instead of back boxes. I had the same style tail pipes put on but opted for a 3.5" which is bigger than standard but doesn't look obtrusive.
Total cost inc fitting was £300 however if you just wanted the back box removing and straight through pipes fitting they reckoned it would be £200 - £250.
I listened to all the vids and to be honest the noise was not what I was expecting (all other exhausts I have had done were on petrol cars) but having put some miles on her I really like it. A bit more of a growl on initial startup then quiet, nice subtle roar once driving however the turbo whistle and dump valve chatter are much more prominent at low speeds. That said my car has had a few other mods that may account for that. There is also a significant performance difference as the throttle response is way better, and car seems to want to pull for longer.
Really very impressed considering the price. Even got the original backboxes to keep to either sell on or keep if I decide to revert to standard.
Who did you use, Must Go?
I'm currently waiting to get the brera back from Ned and the gang at Auto Lusso who are doing a million and one jobs to it, then I was going to Profusion Customs for a custom Magnaflow build.
(Post Link) post #58 of 72 Old 01-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Any chance of a sound clip or video.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Yes, it would. However, there's very little difference between the "style" or look of the wizard tailpipes. Slightly larger circumference (never thought I'd use that word since leaving school 25 years ago). Someone with them already may be able to tell you the exact difference size wise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBud View Post
Check the 2 comparison shots here:
https://www.facebook.com/WizardExhausts/?fref=photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
Outlets are a fair bit bigger, 4" through memory. Believe standard is 3".
Sorry guys I wasn't being clear...I meant that I LOVE the square Brera tailpipes and would want to keep them or at least have tailpipes fabricated in a similar shape (including the 'lipped' edge).

I'm just being dead fussy now aren't I
AO Member

County: Devon
Received my wizard pipes for my 2.4 today. Already fitted and liking them thus far. The sound is a definite improvement, though far from hugely noticeable.
Im interested to see if there's any noticeable difference in performance/MPG as there is less back pressure on the exhaust now (though I do still have DPF in place despite remap).
Have to say, the quality of workmanship on them is very impressive. Thanks Dan and the guys at Wizard.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 TI

How much louder are they fitted to the diesel on the motorway, foot down not cruising? It was unbearable for me on the 2.2 petrol so Dan remade mine with silencers fitted.
I ask because I will soon be changing to diesel.
AO Member

County: Devon
Not been on motorway yet, but on a road earlier there was no increased drone at all. It was important to me that there wasn't a massive increase in sound when cruising, just a nicer noise when putting your foot down a bit!
AO Member

I went to a place in Watford called top gear. Think that they use LIFE branded exhausts.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
So generally what sort of performance increase would you expect from the Wizard setup?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
So generally what sort of performance increase would you expect from the Wizard setup?
Depends on what else you have done to your car. Just removing the back boxes and fitting straight through pipes will reduce the back pressure which should allow the turbo to spool faster and takes about 12KG of the overall weight of the car (every little helps!). The more mods your car has e.g. remap, decat, fast flow dpf, egr delete etc etc then the more benefit you get from the exhaust. If I'm honest i originally did it for the noise in the hope i could con myself into thinking the car was quicker if it sounded better, however even my missus noticed the performance gain. I think the car is more responsive, accelerates quicker and pulls harder further up through the rev range. Missus described it as super nippy!
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #66 of 72 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the input , Jimbon any chance of a sound clip or youtube recording??
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

had wizard back boxes fitted at autolusso north today, they look superb ! , far better than the original bread bins that came off.

sound is deeper but not that much louder, nicer bubble at tickover and warbles more when pressed hard. Very pleased because they really look brilliant.

Great knowledgeable service at Penrith
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
had wizard back boxes fitted at autolusso north today, they look superb ! , far better than the original bread bins that came off.

sound is deeper but not that much louder, nicer bubble at tickover and warbles more when pressed hard. Very pleased because they really look brilliant.

Great knowledgeable service at Penrith
And this was for your 2.4? Any chance of a sound clip? And how much if you dont mind my asking?
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #69 of 72 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cream, we need to hear a sound clip, hearing is believing
Pud237 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

I've just replaced mine with a custom from Profusion. Full straight through from Cat/DPF back, binning all silencers. Deep burbling at lower revs, but sounds like a grizzly bear on steroids under hard acceleration from outside, but pretty damn quiet inside. Wouldn't recommend a full straight through on a petrol version though. I'll try to do a vid/sound clip when I find a little spare time. Cost wise.....damn expensive lmao
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Got to be cheaper than the OEM parts?
AO Member

Due to an MOT failure I had to sort a new exhaust in a short space of time. So opted to get a powerflow system. Straight-through stainless steel, with custom tips. Nothing like what was on the Brera before but I love it, the photos dont do it justice, but the sound is unreal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14671290_352897758378941_1107006837385197351_n.jpg (85.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 14639605_352897805045603_5948570001893662360_n.jpg (37.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 14650489_352897831712267_7802572007196571509_n.jpg (102.0 KB, 9 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
change , diesel , exhaust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page