Wet carpet, door sealant fix with photos - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By RMS159
  • 1 Post By RMS159
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Netherland
Wet carpet, door sealant fix with photos

Some time ago, when I just bought my 159, I noticed the carpet underneath the driver seat was wet.
After some more rain (which happens often hereÖ) the carpet underneath all 4 seats where wet.
Previous owner always parked it inside the garage so it was not wet when I bought it.

After some searching on this forum I found a good tip listed here by Ken:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...et-carpet.html (159 wet carpet)
It turned out to be the inner door panel seal that is rotten and starts to fail.

This allows water to come from (what I think) the window rail mechanism, where the window is clipped into, down to bottom of the door where the rail is bolted to the door panel. Then its goes through the rotten seal and leaks on the door seals and then into the carpet.

Normally the water should leak out of the inner door drain hole, but through the seal when rotten is an easier path for the water apparently.

With the fix explained below, which is based on the one Ken described, I now got no leaks after 1 week of rain most of the time.
During the fix I made some pictures that might help other users.

Photo nr.1 shows the symptoms of a failing inner door panel seal, water on the door seal.

Photo nr.2 shows first step: remove the door cards, remove speaker, and remove all bolts of the inner door panel except for the 3 on the top.
Loosen up to the 3 on top so you can gently pull out the inner door panel from the door until you have a gap of around 10mm between them at the bottom side.

I did not want to remove the inner door panel in total since this would mean removing the window mechanism which I found to be tricky because the clip where the window clips in tend to brake.
Also I donít know what happens if I disconnect the black boxes on the front door panels which say ďdo not dropĒ. I assume they are the side impact sensors?

Photo nr.3 shows the tool that I made to scrape the rotten seal from the inner door panel.
Made this from 5 mm HDPE (plastic), donít use metal or other sharp tools to remove the rotten seal since then you are risking damaging the paint of the door, or the zinc layer of the inner door panel so it can start to rust.

Photo nr.4 shows the tool in action, it fits nicely in the gap and is strong enough to remove the rotten seal. Make sure you remove the rotten seal as best as you can.
Only the bottom parts of the seal was rotten, the upper parts is just fine so there is no need to remove it.

Next make sure that the surfaces are fully dry, photo nr.5 shows an example on how this can be achieved.

With the door cards removed itís a good idea to clean, since the water seeping through it will make the bottom dirty as shown on photo nr.6.

For the new sealant I bought one that is suitable for metal, transparent, keeps its flexibility when dried and will even stick when surface is damp.
When buying sealant you get the tip which can screw onto the sealant cartridge, which you can modify so it makes it easier to apply the sealant under an angle.
Photo nr.7 shows the one that I modified.

Next apply the new sealant where the old rotten sealant is removed as shown on photo nr.8
Then bolt the inner door panel back to the door again, the sealant should creep around the edges which shows you used enough sealant and all gaps are filled.

Then apply some additional sealant on the bottom between the inner door panel and the door to ensure no water can go through it (I donít want to do this again) as shown on photo nr.9.

By only applying new sealant where it was rotten it will make life easier when you need to remove inner door panel in the future if you need to replace the window mechanism for example.

Next install the speaker, door cards and the door grip again and let the sealant dry before exposing it again to water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (103.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (51.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (108.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (52.7 KB, 24 views)
alfafanboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 14-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Netherland
The remaining pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (35.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (59.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (96.9 KB, 14 views)
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Member
County: -
Nice work!
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

I had the same problem when i purchased my 159 last year. I found the problem because my Seat Leon did the same thing. I asked at my local main dealer if they had seen this problem and released a new seal strip (like Seat had done in 2001) but they said they had never seen this problem!
Mine is an 07, maybe Alfa updated this material on later models to the butyl rubber seals rather than the foam?...
AO Member
County: -
Be aware there could still be leaks through the bulkhead - mine leaked through a seam missing some sealant down into the car over the throttle pedal and into the A-pillar.

I gave up on the A-pillar leak (think it comes in the around the door check strap seal) as it stayed in the pillar and drained out into the sill and from there out of the sill drain.

I used a "dum-dum" strip to seal the door panels - doesn't set so doesn't glue the inner panel in place.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

carpet , door , fix , photos , sealant , wet