cam shaft solenoid removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

cam shaft solenoid removal

I have had error codes consistent with faulty solenoids (or perhaps chain) and wanted to have a look at replacing the solenoids.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to remove them? I have undone the bolts at the side but they won't come free.

Do the wires unclip separately?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

I dont know which engine you use but ill give you 3.2 advice.

3.2 solenoids.

The plug: the plug truly is a tough irritating little bugger. Best way i found it remove them is to push the clip down thats suppose to release the plug and while holding that clip down push the plug forward more into the fitting and then pull it out. This helps the clip release.

The silenoid: they seal pretty tight in their respective holes. Best way to get them out is to turn it side to side in the hole while tugging on it. It will just release suddenly with increase of pressure.

The space: yeah the engine bay space is limited. Easiest way is to support the engine properly (very important) then loosen the engine side bracket and the gearbox side bracket bolts. Then find a nice long pipe or crowbar and find a good angle to press aganst the engine side bracket to shift the motor the other side enough so that you have space to pull the solenoid out long enough that you can remove it at an angle. I highly stress do not press the pole/crowbar against the timing cover as they are quite thin and in my opinion will easily crack if you do that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

cam , removal , shaft , solenoid