ABS Sensor problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-01-16 Thread Starter
County: Sofia - town
ABS Sensor problem

Hi to everyone,

I have been reading here for quite some time and have found very useful information but never anyone having the issue I'm facing right now.

Alfa Romeo 159, 1.9 JTDm, 150 bhp here. I have bought the car three years ago and have had great time with it several small issues aside. The one and only persisting problem that is driving me nuts is the front-right ABS sensor which keeps breaking in a 6-7 month period. Each time the ABS Not Available fault is displayed I find some time to demount the sensor only to discover it's damaged at the side facing the wheel bearing to a point where it's proper operation is not possible (obviously). Initially I thought the wheel bearing was the cause of the problem because the rubber ring that interacts with the ABS sensor and is part of the wheel bearing was showing signs of damage due to its age. Some parts of the rubber ring seemed to be torn apart and very likely where physically contacting the ABS sensor. I purchased a new wheel bearing and mounted it only to have the ABS not available fault again after an year or so with the ABS sensor damaged again. This time I looked into the hole where the sensor resides and have not seen any problems with the magnetic ring showing outside its bed at the wheel bearing. I suspect that dirt keeps building up on top of the bearing reaching the sensor and damaging it eventually. But this is not happening with the other sensors which makes me think it's not the cause.

Do you guys have any idea what might be wrong? Is it possible that the geometry of the wheel mountings (wishbones, etc) is somehow faulty? Or probably the bed where the sensor resides is not quite well positioned?

Thanks for all the input here!

Sponsored Links
It is a nasty design. Dirt will get in there and wreck the sensor. That's about it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

abs , problem , sensor