3,2 jts engine remove/rebuild - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 78Likes

427scr

Did you get the exhaust split?

I had to be brutal with mine, I removed all of the supporting brackets from just in front of where the two pipes enter the cat and then ground off the four rusted nuts and the studs, right back to the flange using a burr in an electric power drill. (see picture) You have to do this as you cant get a grinder in there and a Dremel isn't man enough for the job.

You then have to remove the centre section of exhaust, drill out what is left of the studs and weld in new m8 bolts to replace them.

Refit new stainless nuts and washers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.2 KB, 294 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #52 of 208 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Uppsala
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427scr View Post
Did you get the exhaust split?

I had to be brutal with mine, I removed all of the supporting brackets from just in front of where the two pipes enter the cat and then ground off the four rusted nuts and the studs, right back to the flange using a burr in an electric power drill. (see picture) You have to do this as you cant get a grinder in there and a Dremel isn't man enough for the job.

You then have to remove the centre section of exhaust, drill out what is left of the studs and weld in new m8 bolts to replace them.

Refit new stainless nuts and washers.
thanks for the advice

the rear pipe is still on. its the flange between the manifold and downpipe on the rear side im still struggling with. using a Fine-saw. an electric excentrical (or whatever it called) peace of art of a tool that rotate a small blade saw. could cut of the first one but the second one to the left side of the vehicle is freaking imposible to get to.

will try tomorrow again. havent been able to work in the garage lately.
(Post Link) post #53 of 208 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafanboy View Post
Might just be a blown head gasket? Are you going to fit LLT pistons and rods? If so then you'd need new head gaskets and piston rings anyway, might as well change rod bearings too. I hope the block isn't cracked or that a head isn't warped, if so hopefully all they need is a little bit machined off.
yes may be. but it should be only on one cylinder or two, but not on all three cylinders and exact amount. well it has probably something with the head.
yes plan is to use llt engine parts. asked mike for the block at gmparts
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of the same process, 3.6 conversion. Will use the Brera block and LLT Camaro rods and pistons. Already ordered head studs and head gaskets yesterday. GM 3.6 parts are really cheap. Head gaskets, conrods, pistons, piston rings, crank seals, main and conrod bearings are 750€. Pretty cheap to rebuild. Just wanted to ask if I understood correctly that the combustion chambers on the heads do not need to be machined and can just be bolted on the 3.6 bored block? That will be 89mm -> 94mm.
(Post Link) post #55 of 208 Old 16-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz85 View Post
Hi guys, I'm in the middle of the same process, 3.6 conversion. Will use the Brera block and LLT Camaro rods and pistons. Already ordered head studs and head gaskets yesterday. GM 3.6 parts are really cheap. Head gaskets, conrods, pistons, piston rings, crank seals, main and conrod bearings are 750€. Pretty cheap to rebuild. Just wanted to ask if I understood correctly that the combustion chambers on the heads do not need to be machined and can just be bolted on the 3.6 bored block? That will be 89mm -> 94mm.
hi
cool mate. we are quite a few now. According to Benzinabrera its not neccesery to machine the head.

ill bought yesterday a complete LLT engine. but im still in a process of removing the old engine. a lot of work and not enough time. the weather is not on my side eather (cold garage)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radical_plus View Post
hi
cool mate. we are quite a few now. According to Benzinabrera its not neccesery to machine the head.

ill bought yesterday a complete LLT engine. but im still in a process of removing the old engine. a lot of work and not enough time. the weather is not on my side eather (cold garage)
Same here. I have not taken the engine out yet. Will do it when the pistons have arrived so the engine shop can machine the block. This engine has Darton sleeves and I hope they are thick enough. Read from an Opel forum that some guys in Germany have even used a 101mm piston in this engine but the sleeves will fail pretty fast. That is 4000cc + Can anyone confirm what is the maximum safe bore for these sleeves on the 3.2l block? 94mm for 3.6l sounds safe when people go up to 101mm... and I guess the 3.6l sleeves should be as thick as the 3.2l when you bore the 3.2l out to 3.6l. I havent seen a stripped Brera block yet.
sizewell likes this.

Last edited by ragz85; 16-02-16 at 13:38.
(Post Link) post #57 of 208 Old 16-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

you got something to look forward to (..lifting the engine)
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Yes heads can just be bolted on. you will need new sleeves put in as the 3.2 sleeve is not thick enough. just make sure the engineering shop knows what they are doing with boring and re sleeving. because the engineering that did mine mucked up my alfa block and I kept popping headgasket on a cylinder and could not figure out why until I discovered that they bored it out too small. so when they put the new sleeves in and the sleeves expanded the block cracked and water leaked through between the block and sleeve and popped the gasket

Alfa Romeo- Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things
AO Member

Are you sure the sleeves arent thick enough? If so, then where can I get new sleeves from? Do you have any product number perhaps for the sleeves?
AO Silver Member

yeah I'm pretty sure, they had to machine past the liners. unfortunately I cant remember the sizes and things anymore, but the motor engineer will be able to tell you what size you will need. I know this because that's what they had me do, gave me the size and went out to get it. usually auto part stores that sell things like aftermarket engine internal parts can get sleeves as well.
(Post Link) post #61 of 208 Old 17-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

asked the same questions for a while ago as well about the reboring the block
both told me do not bother and just buy a bigger block. its actually even cheaper

not impressed about the newgmparts by the way.. taking forever to get the information and now nobody is answering at all
AO Silver Member

Thats weird. Usually mike replies very quickly. Do you email directly to his mikeking email adress?
AO Silver Member

I once phoned him on skype also. That also works.
(Post Link) post #64 of 208 Old 18-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

well actually not.. but i thought they would like to sell some parts even without mike involved

now i bought a complete LLT engine instead anyway so i think ill find parts i need on other sites or maybe they will answer later.. not important for the moment but thanks for the thought
ragz85 and alfafanboy like this.
AO Member

Quote:
well actually not.. but i thought they would like to sell some parts even without mike involved

now i bought a complete LLT engine instead anyway so i think ill find parts i need on other sites or maybe they will answer later.. not important for the moment but thanks for the thought
Nice! So basically a heads swap and it should be good. Found na LY7 bottom end so I'm going to buy that, no use for the rods and pistons but a spare crank at least.
No LLT's on the move here. Complete LY7 is 1300€ and the full bottom end I managed to get down to 400€.
alfafanboy likes this.
(Post Link) post #66 of 208 Old 18-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

as benzinabrera said before you need to use alfa sump and make some new mount for the geni.
i bought mine with camaro manifolds. dont know if those will fit on an alfa head but those are pretty neat. very short and no catalysts

here is some pictures. number three.. the right bolt is pretty close to the frame. any tips and tricks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160213_194050.jpg (107.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_194112.jpg (84.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_194120.jpg (99.9 KB, 39 views)
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Hey radical, what turned out to be the problem with the LY7 engine? Must have been pretty bad since you got an LLT engine now
(Post Link) post #68 of 208 Old 19-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafanboy View Post
Hey radical, what turned out to be the problem with the LY7 engine? Must have been pretty bad since you got an LLT engine now
hehe dont know.. they had a complete LLT engine for almost the same amount of money with 30000km on it, tested and complete so i took it intsead.
sizewell and alfafanboy like this.
(Post Link) post #69 of 208 Old 22-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

and here is a LLT
(Post Link) post #70 of 208 Old 22-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

ill try again..

here is a LLT engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevrolet_camaro_2010_motor_bensin.jpg (24.5 KB, 75 views)
ragz85 and alfafanboy like this.
AO Member

Quote:
ill try again..

here is a LLT engine
Got my LY7 yesterday and stripped it today. Took the block and crank to an engine shop. The block will get a slight hone but the crank needs a regrind to fit +0.25mm rods and mains. That engine is from an SRX done 80.000km. Crank didnt seem that bad to me at all but the engine shop guy said it definately needs +0.25 bearings. Anyway... I've been searching all over the internet but I cant find the length for LLT conrods. Are you sure that LY7 and LLT rods are different and arent interchangeable? LY7 rods are 150.400 mm center to center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12837486_1037572012951756_2121801924_o.jpg (98.4 KB, 43 views)
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Member

I will answer myself.

Rod lengths:

LY7 150.4mm
LLT/LFX 152.4mm
LGX 148.84mm

So yes, the rods are different and definately need LLT rods together with LLT pistons.
(Post Link) post #73 of 208 Old 14-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi

nice one! thanks for the info. I have not got my hands on llt engine yet.. a lot of work and i havent been in the garage lately.. everything is unfortunatly where a left it few weeks ago.

I suppose there is a big differense between the pistons as well?(height) LLT's pistons are forged one. so ive heard
AO Member

I finally have all the necessary parts to do the conversion from 3.2 to 3.6. I will take the parts to the engine builder on monday and hope he can start assembling the new engine. I hope the car will be ready by 06.09 because I already booked a visit to the tuners/dyno

If someone also wants parts to do the conversion to 3.6 the you can ask from Rocket Motors - Autovaruosade hulgi- ja jaemüük . The site isnt in english but they do speak english.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allparts.jpg (111.1 KB, 42 views)
Ken and sizewell like this.
AO Silver Member

Very nice. Love a ton of new parts waiting to be fitted hehe

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
engine , jts , remove or rebuild