3,2 jts engine remove/rebuild - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 97Likes

AO Member

County: Berlin
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinaBrera View Post
Fully polished intake?
...Fully decatted exhausts (primary & secondary)
if you are using OEM inlet manifold, how did you managed to polish that damn aluminium casting? from main chamber go 6 curved runners and whatever I tried (at home, not even proper garage) could not get through the curves. unfortunately, do not have access to honing machine.

also the main chamber has access only from one side

did you split it up or what?

please advise, am pretty interested in that topic

regarding the fully de-catted exhausts (prim and sec): how does engine behaves without re-map? how are you fooling lambda sensors?

glad to hear that someone is playing bit more with this engines

check this thread as well: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...e-exhaust.html (starting project 3.2JTS Q4 dual pipe exhaust)
sizewell and alfafanboy like this.

• 146s 1.3 & 1.6 boxer (man I loved those cars!)
  • 156 1.6TS (sold it only since I wanted more power)
  • 159 2.2JTS SW (sold it only since I wanted more power)
  • now driving 159 3.2JTS Q4 SW Ti
  • now driving also Vespa GTS 300ie Super
  • now driving also Aprilia Moto 6.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 260 Old 27-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Uppsala

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

another thought Benzinabrera is why it is not possible to use the LY7 pistons and rods?

I probably be using the LY7 engine. those are cheap and there is 3 for sale currently here in sweden.. (cheapest one is for just 400 with aprox 60000km on it)
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Sorry i only polished the intake tracts on the heads. Perhaps full intake was a bit excessive. The intake manifold i wanted to polish so badly but it just couldnt manage. As you say its too damn difficult to get to.

There is a process that a company called kennametal specializes in called extrude honing that will achieve our desired result but the branch in South Africa dont do this. I dont know if they have a branch and this service in your country. Probably because its a global company from the US.

I cannot comment on the map with the decat as i did it along with the 3.6 conversion so there are too many variables. But what i can say is it revs alot more freely decatted. The lambdas dont have to be fooled. Just make sure they go back in exactly where they cam out on the new pipes.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Ly7 uses lower compression pistons than the alfa and llt engine. So it wont be as fast as it should be if you use ly7 pistons.

If you dump an entire ly7 in there then youll have issues. Wiring wont work as the injector setup is different. Alfa ecu wont work because its set up for direct injection. Bottom stabilizing arms wont fit because they mount to the alfa sump which is different than the ly7's
sizewell, mczero and alfafanboy like this.
AO Member

County: -
How about a complete LLT engine, but with the Alfa sump?

Do the Alfa heads have bigger valves or ports? From the couple of photos i've seen, it looks to me like the Alfa intake ports are slightly narrower, which would be better for improving low rpm flow, combined with the long tracts of the Alfa manifold which would also help low rpm flow, so the intake mods Alfa made would boost low rpm power of the gm 3.2.

An LFX composite plenum and spacer can be used which would flow better than the Alfa manifold from midrange and above, and make the 3.6 slightly lighter than the 3.2 was LFX manifold on an LLT
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

You seem much more knowlegable on intake physics than me so im afraid i cant weigh in here haha

To be honest i havent really researched the lfx so thouroughly purely because there is barely ly7 engines available in SA. A handful cadillacs with llt engines which are all still driving and not being stripped and 0 lfx's. American brands dont do well here. So to me there never was the option of a complete motor swap except for a ly7. And to import an entire engine is too risky and very expensive with our useless weak currency.

But lets say the plugs will go where they are supposed to then you will have 4 things standing in your way with the lfx.

-ecu. The lfx ecu is totally different from the bosch units in the alfa and llt cars. Lfx uses a delphi ecu so im not sure how you are going to make it all work together

-integrated exhaust manifold. This isnt the worst of you worries i suppose if you know good exhaust guys.

-sump. You have no choice but to change the sump to the alfa one. This wont be too bad though as you will have both motors out

-mountings on the heads. The lfx heads are very different and makes me worry about the stock locations on the heads where things like the power steering pump mounts etc. But like i said i dont even have lfx available to look at in the flesh here so i cant say yes this is definately that way or no you definately cant do that except for the sump. That i know for a fact you must change to the alfa sump.

Ive learned anyways in my life that anything can be done if your willing to spend enough money on it haha!
sizewell and radical_plus like this.
(Post Link) post #32 of 260 Old 29-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

thanks benzinabrera

still trying to disconnect the exhaust system..every single bolt has coroded and ther is not much space around.
bought ly engine today. have to get it home somehow
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Nice one! If you need to ask me anything. Feel free to pm or start a thread or whichever you want to
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

I also got elearn for 3.2 v6 jts if you need instructions on removing things or setting the tricky timing
AO Member

Good luck on the engine upgrade radical-plus!
Will you be using the Alfa heads, intake, pistons and rods?
Please take photos while doing the work, it would be awesome to see it all getting done!
AO Member

County: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafanboy View Post
Good luck on the engine upgrade radical-plus!
Will you be using the Alfa heads, intake, pistons and rods?
Please take photos while doing the work, it would be awesome to see it all getting done!
please make an effort with photos, make good quality ones!
sizewell likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Radical will have to get new rods and pistons from the llt engine if he wants to keep the compression ratio up
(Post Link) post #38 of 260 Old 01-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

yes

ill try to remember to take photos. still trying to remove the exhaust. the rear pipe conectins is pretty impossible to undo due to coroded bolts.. hard time to get cutter between the engine and pipes. hade to find some solutions and probably i have to use a Fein-saw of some kind.

recepie for the engine as Benzinabrera allready told is to use the block from the Ly7 engine wich was standard on caddy CTS STS (and other brands) ym 2004 (?)- 2010. pistons and rods has to be from LLT engine wich is a sneak engine of the camaro. 2010-2013 (?) pretty hard to find here up north. not sure but i think there were 3 sold during 2010... most of them are equipped with the v8 engine

engine ive bought will be compression tested before delivery. it will probably happen during this week.
easiest is to put the alfa intake due its position. i will probably make my own but ill take one step at the time. i still have to remove the engine first
alfafanboy likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

You can just get the parts you need from newgmparts.com works out cheap as chips to buy oem parts from them.
mczero and radical_plus like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Send me a picture of these corroded bolts your stuggling with so much so i can see whats going on exactly. If you maybe use whatsapp messenger in your neck of the woods you can message me pics etc on whatsapp
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

If it's these two then I feel your pain - I was lucky and could get a spanner to them both from the top and they weren't too corroded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (199.0 KB, 66 views)
radical_plus and alfafanboy like this.
(Post Link) post #42 of 260 Old 02-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by no grip View Post
If it's these two then I feel your pain - I was lucky and could get a spanner to them both from the top and they weren't too corroded.

that is exactly the spot.. ive used a bunch of spanners and extensions and different angles.. its just rotating so i have to cut them.
AO Member

Would it be easier to cut through the exhaust flex pipe, or just as close to the front of the exhaust pipe as you can reach? The leftover pipe still attached might get in the way though?
(Post Link) post #44 of 260 Old 02-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

yes.. dropped that question a while ago. did not get any proper answer. according to e-Learn it has to be disconected only below the car, but i cannot see how it will be possible to lift the engine up with the rear pipe attached. thats why im trying to disconect it. dont want to cut the pipe cause im on a budget here. but if i must so...
(Post Link) post #45 of 260 Old 02-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzinaBrera View Post
You can just get the parts you need from newgmparts.com works out cheap as chips to buy oem parts from them.
yepp probably..
but the freight cost VAT and taxes are killing the prices (living in EU)
it will surely end that way, i do not have the patience to wait so i probably end up bying the parts from them anyway

Last edited by radical_plus; 02-02-16 at 12:09.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtdm

A small nut splitter might just get to them
(Post Link) post #47 of 260 Old 02-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by no grip View Post
A small nut splitter might just get to them
thank for the advice. tried that as well but the nut is welded on the exhaust flange. the bolt is imposible to splitt
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Damn. Seems cutting is the only option
radical_plus likes this.
(Post Link) post #49 of 260 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

brera 3,2 Q4

jepp..
have been working alot lately so no updates about brera

the Ly7 engine has been tested with pretty bad result.. half of the compression on the left side.
AO Member

Might just be a blown head gasket? Are you going to fit LLT pistons and rods? If so then you'd need new head gaskets and piston rings anyway, might as well change rod bearings too. I hope the block isn't cracked or that a head isn't warped, if so hopefully all they need is a little bit machined off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
engine , jts , remove or rebuild

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page