intermittent white smoke cloud on 2.0 jtdm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 2.0 Ti

Chilling intermittent white smoke cloud on 2.0 jtdm

Hi Guys / Girls

Patient: AR 159 Jtdm 2.0 170 2011 ~127k miles

I notice difficult problem, who begins to repeat more and more often.
On cold engine in about 40-50 miles speed 4th gear after few minutes drive on to 30 miles speed my car is making white soke cloud and the car is jerking. This take about 5min, and after that is OK. This happens ones in last November, second time oin August. And now few times, in last two months. Then is OK.
On warm engine, the car is driving smoothly.
My day-by-day drive is about 20 miles on motorway. Once a month i have from 90 miles to 300 miles trip + few Europe trips in year. (I'm going to Germany in 2 weeks time, the occasion being there, change the oil for Selenia, check the injectors)
On the long journeys I notice coolant level drops.

Also, after last oil change (September, previous change was in February 15 - Selenia oil at Fiat garage)
I see also oil lever drops. - For this moment oil level burns I link only to low quality of the oil.
This was done in local garage. (the car came back to the garage because I notice oil leak from the filter, the used old filter seal) ;/ )

Here is link to the start up, on cold engine:
On cold start it is bit long white smoke. Temperature outside 6*C

My question is: The seal gasket is gone ? looks like, but I don't see all the time lack of power or huge coolant consumption.
Can anyone give me some tips please? I will be grateful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2464.jpg (38.7 KB, 12 views)

Always Looking For A drive

Last edited by michuw81; 12-01-16 at 21:14.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Mine's been like that for years, worse in cold weather (different engine, 2.2 petrol).
It does it when the engine's fully warmed up as well.
Oil and water levels fine, and it's always passed the MOT on emissions.
I've always been very conscious of it when sat in traffic, looks worse at night when it's got another car's headlights right behind.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

Wouldn't even like to guess,

In my current and my last 159 (1.9JTDm and 2.0JTDm) the oil level seems to be a bit random,
Never believe the dashboard indicator, I regularly check the dipstick, For months it will be fine, then suddenly be just above minimum (always checked on the road outside my house, so no hills or slopes affecting the reading) Weird! the coolant level seems to drop steadily (in both cars) I only really notice it as I check the oil level every couple of weeks, goes from max to min in about 6-8 months (this would normally be hidden by a service, but I'm a bit slack so tend to hold out to the max service intervals or do it myself when I give up on dealer servicing)

End result is fluid levels seem to drop steadily over time.

The white smoke/steam you describe I would normally say is down to condensation in the exhaust over the colder nights, but in conjunction with the bad running It could be the first signs of head gasket failure, Once it warms up the gaps in the gasket close up and fix the issue, when cold the coolant leaks into the cylinders causing steam. keep a close eye inside the oil filler cap, first sign of milky/white residue will give you a definite answer.

(you could be brave and try some radweld (or something similar) in the coolant to see if that temporarily fixes the problem? I've only ever used it in engines 20+ years ago so don't know what damage it might cause in a modern engine, you will have to research that and decide for yourself if its worth the risk (If any))

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 2.0 Ti

Thanks Axe.

I check the oil cup, and no milky/mayo stuff inside the cup. Also after long journeys the coolant is just above max, after night, just above min. During this few months I top up about 100 ml of coolant, maybe less.

Some suggestions on web are saying also the worn injectors. Also I was have chat with Jame from GoItalia, and he suggest can be DPF regeneration when I have the jerks and smokescreen

My last MOT smoke emission was showing 1.04, but on 2014 was 0.02

I'm not much to some redweld type solutions.

Probably I will be wait till I get to Germany and give to German garage for full investigation (UK dealer are so expensive ) Lucky I'm working form home this week and don't need to drive.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

cloud , intermittent , jtdm , smoke , white