Turbo Problem - 1.75TBi Brera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By RomeoRaiderZ
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-01-16 Thread Starter
County: -Australia
Turbo Problem - 1.75TBi Brera

I have a 1.75tbi Brera with only 30,000kms and it is not holding boost above 1.2bar. An Alfa dealer in Sydney had it for two weeks about 18 months ago as the problem was perhaps worse and they diagnosed the fuel pump and changed it out but I still have a problem. The car was then stored professionally for 16 months (Navy posting) and before I go back to them on this I am hoping for any pearls of wisdom out there as I have just picked it up.

It is not a problem at heavy acceleration from stop or with high revs as the boost of the turbo is always lower then, but if you accelerate from low revs in any gear and the boost gets to 1.2bar the car lurches back and the boost drops and go back up again until 1.2bar and then does it again. It is really disconcerting. I have read the threads from JTDM owners on turbo problems around 1.2 bar - but am wondering if others have experienced the problem with the petrol 1.75tbi version or if others also have had this? Any ideas? Is it normal behaviour? I had a 2.2JTS for 4 years and although it was slower than this car this issue is really annoying and is causing me to doubt the wisdom of changing.

I posted this a few days ago and have perused the forum closely but no luck so far.

thanks so much:
Sponsored Links
County: West Lothian
Welcome to AO - it's just a pity that you're here with a problem already.

Hopefully it's not the start of this : http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...yet-again.html (1750 turbo blown - YET AGAIN!!!!) which first manifested itself about 2 years (and 3 turbos) previously as a sudden power loss under acceleration which would clear and 'reset' if you lifted off the throttle for a second or so - not ideal in the middle of an overtake! This was cured by a modification to the loom to one of the sensors (I'll try and find the thread on this) but it then led on to the first of the turbo failures which may have been caused, in part, by the repeated shock loadings on the turbo impeller shaft when the boost was suddenly dumped.

ETA : Found the thread detailing the power loss issue : http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-problems.html (1750 TBi problems)
Temple60 likes this.

Last edited by RomeoRaiderZ; 08-01-16 at 15:08. Reason: Addition of link
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 09-01-16 Thread Starter
County: -Australia
Thanks for the information - will continue driving and check it out further as my symptoms are a little different and the turbo is perfect up to 1.2 bar and I have no cold weather issues - will use this to talk with Alfa next time I take it in

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

175tbi , brera , problem , turbo