Sky view roof power supply question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

2008 Brera 2.4

Sky view roof power supply question

I'm looking at options for mounting a dash cam with permanent wiring to a switched power supply.

As I'd like the camera up near the mirror I thought about taking power from the overhead console. The lights are on some form of timer, so I wondered about the sky roof.

What I need is a 12v supply that's powered when the ignition key goes in and shuts off as soon as the key is removed. I know I could use a lower voltage and a transformer, but to keep things simple I want to use a 12v as I can simply splice a lighter socket into the wiring and mount it up so it's hidden by the mirror. Then it would be a simple matter to add or remove the camera from a mount clamped to the mirror.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Shropshire
There is a thread somewhere here where they took power from the roof to power a dash cam - But when I fitted my bluetooth I was not a fan of removing the light as its easy to damage the roof trim and the light itself mine needed quite a bit of force even when you have found the clips.

For me I put a 40 amp usb hub in the glove box as it allows easy powering of other devices; I power my phone, Satnav, tablet and the dashcam all from the same hub even at the same time. The hub could easily be hidden away behind the glovebox too. Its an easy job to run a wire from the glove box to the roof. hidden behind the trim panels.

The camera can then be easily detached from the mount.

In real life the black tesa tape looks really good and hardly noticeable but with the flash it looks aweful! The camera is a Drift Ghost HD, I didnt originally buy it for a dash cam but it seems to do a good job and does not have an awful screen that looks like a cheap satnav... If I was todo it again I would get a Mobius or Joovuu X.

Power is taken from the Cig fuse, you can see the connection fitted (the red wire above the green obd adapter).

Found it

Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
I wired up my dash cam by using an ignition live from the roof consul and earthed it onto one of the mounting threaded studs. But it only draws a small amount of current.
What do you want to wire it to.?

Last edited by bt75alfa; 06-01-16 at 18:32.
AO Platinum Member
County: Riviera
I used the +12V CD changer supply from the back of the HU (Blue DIN socket?)
to power my windscreen mounted Coyote "Danger Area" system on both the Brera and 159.
Via a 12-5V convertor.

Also means you can power up whatever you connect by just switching on the Stereo without
having to switch on the ignition. (That what I used as the switched power for a Nokia handsfree
on the 147 too.)

Not sure what it's rated at but I never had a problem. ~1A ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

power , question , roof , sky , supply , view