Which 159 Sportwagon to go for - 1.9 or 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By Major_Clanger
  • 1 Post By Alfiefreak
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Which 159 Sportwagon to go for - 1.9 or 2.4

In Lusso trim.

How do the two engines compare? I remember reading the 2.4 power advantage is offset by the engines heavy weight.

Can you get the 1.9 remapped to get the best of both worlds?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

You can map a 1.9 yes, but at a real risk to the gearbox. The 1.9 box is particularly week, although decent oil in it will assist with wear. That said just go for the 2.4, much stronger transmission and copes easy with a map.
It's a heavy car so depending on what you have now and the performance your used to I'd go 2.4 with map, it's what I had and it was reasonably rapid.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
How about the 2.0?
A bit rarer but they are out there.
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

My 2.4 felt underpowered (almost gutless) prior to remap and DPF removal.
AO Member
County: -
I've not driven a 1.9 but did a lot of research before buying my 2.4. I have to say that for an oil burner it's quite a fun engine and is supposed to be mechanically reliable. As mentioned by others, the gearbox is far stronger than the 1.9 and even though the change is not the slickest out there, it is quite satisfying and deliberate (a bit like a full gate system). I recently had my engine re-mapped by AHM which has made an enromous difference. It's now reasonably quick for a heavy car, but has so much torque that overtaking in 4th or 5th is effortless and very easy.
goram likes this.

Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

Would echo again that even the 2.4 needs mapping otherwise it is nothing more than brisk imo. Alfatune/ahm map unlocks what should have been standard. I would forget the 1.9
Villans likes this.
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Just to play devils advocate; I have a 1.9 JTDM 2007 remapped (jjbmotors - alfatune) and the gearbox has never been replaced, and is still nice and tight. It has had the remap since about 70,000 now on 198,000 Miles. 50,000 of that has been on the Autobahns in Germany. Just dont labour the engine below 2,000 rpm, you can hear the engine doesnt like it, i.e; I wouldnt put it in 6th below 110km and definelty not below 100KM! I have never driven a 1.9 before a remap, but it is actually reasonably fun for FWD (nothing compared to a 3.2 166 with q2 or a 75 twinspark), the engine is fairly revy and is a nice mile muncher that looks fantastic. I think a standard 1.9 would be a bit gutless... But thats just my experience.

But based on all the horror stories I hear about the 1.9 I would get the 2.4 to be safe. Or the 170 2.0 jtdm less weight than the 2.4 and more power than the 1.9 remapped they can go to 210 bhp ( best of both worlds but more money is involved)...
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
I owned a 1.9 standard.I sold it 3 months later as I felt it underpowered and bought a 2.4 instead. I'm glad I did and and it's worth waiting for one. Just to mention there are two version, 200 and 210 bhp. I believe the 210 is from 2008 but the way you can tell is if you open the drivers door and look at the pillar it will mention the bhp.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , sportwagon