Front end knocking and noise from steering lock to lock. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 08-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Front end knocking and noise from steering lock to lock.

Just bought an 07 159. Checked all bushes and ball joints. All seems in good condition without any play anywhere. Any ideas?
Checked prices for top and bottom arms as I may have needed them. Just wondering has anyone drilled and fitted grease nipples to the various points ie top/bottom ball joints and bushes? Not sure it could be done or how practical it would be? Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this. Also any ideas on what could be causing these noises I'm getting from front end?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

427scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac29 View Post
Just bought an 07 159. Checked all bushes and ball joints. All seems in good condition without any play anywhere. Any ideas?
Checked prices for top and bottom arms as I may have needed them. Just wondering has anyone drilled and fitted grease nipples to the various points ie top/bottom ball joints and bushes? Not sure it could be done or how practical it would be? Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this. Also any ideas on what could be causing these noises I'm getting from front end?
Thanks in advance.
There are dozens of posts on here about knocking front suspension. It's almost always the top wishbone. You cannot feel anything in the wishbone when jacked up, mine went through 2 MOTs with a bad knock. Tester knew about the knock but couldn't find play so passed it.

If you buy new arms, buy OEM, the copies only last a year or so. Ned at Autolusso is experimenting with grease nipples but the location of the drilling would be a major stress raiser and may cause a wishbone to catastrophically fail. I'm an engineer and I would not drill them. Leave it to a pro.

Your steering noise could be as simple as the wrong fluid issue. Mine was noisy, swapped the fluid, pump and reservoir and it went away.

AO Member

County: Cheshire
I have the same on front left and I've just been told all my bushes are in good condition after a detailed inspection plus I've had a new arm and wishbone fitted 4 months ago, so my next action will be to securely fasten the undertray as the number of fasteners diminishes each time. Cable ties are not a proper fix. ?
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 09-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for the feed back lads just seen them.

I would be interested in the development of grease nipples on these. But your right. Not a diy job. Maybe we could group develop having the ball joints machined out, initially it may be expensive but would pay you back next time it's needing ball joints??? Just some of my initial thoughts.

Mmm. You may have a point on the tray. Will get a better look this weekend

I've got to say I'm impressed with the feel of the 159. Feels like a bit of quality too.

I think I may need to sort my wipers out very soon and I'm sure I heard a noise/rattle clunking sound coming from bulkhead area too. Wipers weren't under operation while I heard the noise.

County: Kuala Lumpur

Member car:

Hi guys...need your help and advise. My 159 have a clunking sound when drive over hump. The annoying sound came from driver side (front right) and mechanic said it maybe cause by steering rack or coupling. But I didnt feel vibrate on the steering itself. Mechanic also didnt want to guarentee the sound cause by steering component. I have changed absorber, lower arm and upper arm but the problem persist. Also checked on the driveshalf but all ok.
Is any of you having similar problem (clunking sound) and confirmed that was cause by steering rack or coupling? Or do you have any idea what should i check?
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 28-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Morning amirudink
Have you checked undertray for security? As said earlier in the thread, these can be tampered with and do create all sorts of sounds. Also check drop link bushes?
Mine is still noisy as with Xmas and good old British weather I've not got round to looking at mine properly yet. But I'm fairly certain I have zero play in any components
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Hi all,

Potentially dumb question - im 99% certain this is the issue i have with my car. Does the upper arm have to be replaced? or could you just replace the bush with some powerflex ones?

Thanks
Evo
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Hi all,

Potentially dumb question - im 99% certain this is the issue i have with my car. Does the upper arm have to be replaced? or could you just replace the bush with some powerflex ones?

Thanks
Evo
I had a knock in the steering going left or right when stationary after having the whole suspension, dampers and springs, changed on the car. The mechanic re-checked everything they did and the only thing they reported back was they checked anything to do with steering and suspension and apparently all they could see was one of the engine mounts/brackets was a bit loose, not sure how, and a loose track rod end when the car was on a four post lift but when the car was on the ground it was fine. They diagnosed it may need a new steering rack. However upon handing it back I've not had a knock since and the steering wheel which was slightly off centre is dead on so I'm still not sure what the issue was or whether I need a new steering rack.

Earlier someone mentioned Ned developing the grease nipple for the wishbone because with the powerflex they eventually, I've found in hotter weather its worse, start to squeak/chatter especially around town. Mine at the moment are doing this and its a tad embarrassing/annoying to be honest as its not quiet and I've got to the point I've been seeing how much replacement ones are as re-greasing them seems to be all but impossible without dismantling
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquer159 View Post

Earlier someone mentioned Ned developing the grease nipple for the wishbone because with the powerflex they eventually, I've found in hotter weather its worse, start to squeak/chatter especially around town. Mine at the moment are doing this and its a tad embarrassing/annoying to be honest as its not quiet and I've got to the point I've been seeing how much replacement ones are as re-greasing them seems to be all but impossible without dismantling
We are not developing arms with grease nipples as I think it could potentially weaken the arms too much and cause it to snap, Jay has them on his car and other people have done it, if someone wants to do this themselves DIY etc it is upto them but for us to do it as a business it is not worth the risk

I am working on another solution though, please see attached picture

Ned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.JPG (190.8 KB, 22 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Best practice is to put fixings at right angles to the load but presumably you have Meyle support?
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
We are not developing arms with grease nipples as I think it could potentially weaken the arms too much and cause it to snap, Jay has them on his car and other people have done it, if someone wants to do this themselves DIY etc it is upto them but for us to do it as a business it is not worth the risk

I am working on another solution though, please see attached picture

Ned
Apologies Ned I just relooked at the earlier post I'd read and they used experimenting not developing... so my bad

Its a pity about the squeaking/chattering in the warmer weather as I've been extremely happy with the powerflex modification and the increased mileage from my front tyres. Last set had done 15k on the front before I put them on the back with around 3mm on.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
Evo
Sorry for the extremely late response. I got locked out and couldn't reset password.
Did you sort your car.
Mine turned out to be the upper rear bushes. Fitted new ones and it's been spot on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
end , front , knocking , lock , noise , steering