Power Steering Fluid Story - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By bla157h73
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-11-15 Thread Starter
County: UK

Member car:

Alfa 159 JTDM

Power Steering Fluid Story

Thought I would share my power steering story as it may help others on here and I know there has been a load of posts on this before.

When I bought my 159 JTDM 8 months ago, I would get the power steering noise on full lock. Didn't take too much notice as previous cars had been noisy on other cars on full lock.

Over the last couple of months, the wining noise had become permanent and at time really noisy to the point that I thought this cant be just the fluid problem as it sounded a lot more terminal.

Last weekend I bought myself some of the Green GI/R spec fluid to do the change as recommended on this forum and others.

As i drained the old red spec fluid I decided to try an experiment as I had a Liter or so of new red fluid from previous cars, so I did a flush and re-filled with red fluid and took the car for a drive.

The noise was not different and still constant.

Got the car back home and this time drained, flushed and re-filled with the green fluid.

Jumped back in the car for a lap around the block and instantly I could tell the difference. The constant noise from the power steering had vanished completely.

I know there has been a lot on here about weather the changing to the green makes any difference, so in my opinion Yes, it makes the world of difference and has transformed my car from something I thought was terminal
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
I hope the steering rack doesn't start leaking, but it might, so keep an eye out for that in the coming months.
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Mine makes a bit of noise on full lock, especially on these cold mornings (or it seems that way).
Never ever touched power steering on any of the many cars I've owned that have had it. Not even so much as a top up as they never required it.
So this is my first potential power steering problem. How easy is it to drain the fluid? I need to do an oil change this weekend so I might as well do the power steering because my oil looks neither red or green, worryingly it looks brown, which might mean they have been mixed or it's knackered. Anyway changing the fluid (to green) is perhaps better than waiting for it to all fail (which I'm guessing it might).

Also where is the best place to get the oil? Any car accessory shop?

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 26-11-15 Thread Starter
County: UK

Member car:

Alfa 159 JTDM

If you do a search on here there are plent of "How to's" telling you how to do it.

I have a Pela 6000 oil vacume pump which i used to suck out as much oil as i could from the resivoir. Put the new oil in, started car and moved steering side to side to circulate oil, then repeted, (Removed oil, re-filled ect) until it had been flushed through the system and was looking clean. (Can also be done with a turkey baster

The oil I got was the specified Tutela GI/R and I got it from ebay, but after doing some research, halfords do "central hydrualic fluid" CHF 1 which is the same spec as trhe Tutela GI/R
Wezley likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I changed my PAS reservoir to an upgraded version (that was apparently modified) and had it filled with the green PAS fluid. I did this after reading about all the horror stories on here. That was about four years ago now and I've had no problems at all. Have recently just had to change an inner track rod and the rack shows no sign of any leakage (on either side) so it's well worth taking the necessary precautions.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

fluid , power , steering , story