Inner edge tyre wear - front lower arm rear bushes or too much toe out ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Inner edge tyre wear - front lower arm rear bushes or too much toe out ?

Just had the front lower arm rear bushes replaced with Powerflex upgrades at my local Inde. Thankfully the car sailed through the MOT with the only advisory being fairly bad inner edge tyre wear. With around 4 - 5 mm left on the front tyres I'm keen to put this right.

The car is a 159ti Sportwagon and according to Old Engineer the toe out should be 2 Mins +/- 5 per wheel. The toe out on mine is 10mins for both wheels so within Old Engineers settings. I know the best advice would be a trip to Cambridge or Autolusso but I just cant fit this in over the next few months as I live in the Peak District.

I would really appreciate opinions on whether the inner edge tyre wear is likely to be entirely down to the pre upgraded bushes, or whether I should reduce the toe out by 5 mins per wheel as a temporary fix until I can take it to the experts

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

A few of months ago I had really bad inner edge wear, which I hadn't had before - The garage had changed the car to 'Alfa spec' previously (they told me they'd done it, but I was non the wiser!) - the fronts lasted 6,000 miles!

I took OE's print out to them and they said the settings lit up their machine like a christmas tree!!

But 4,000 miles later wear is even and good. In fairness they didn't charge for the re-alignment and only charged me for 1 tyre.

I'd get it done to OE's spec next time you change them - it worked for me.
AO Platinum Member
Get your wheel alignment checked. If that is alright then start looking for other causes.
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London
10 minutes each wheel or total front? If total that is the spec advise for the Brera S. The specs by old engineer are negative 2 minutes. so would be -0'07 to 0'03 for front each front wheel.

Edit: Before a wheel alignment, tyres and suspension should be checked. Would be pointless getting into into spec only to find out a worn bush is allowing the alignment to go back out.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Since changing to autolusso bottom bushes my tire wear is flat across the tire. Original tires were wearing out at 7k. Now on double that and no issue

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

arm , bushes , edge , front , lower , rear , toe , tyre , wear