Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4jtdm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 28-10-15 Thread Starter

County: -
Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4jtdm

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum so I don't know if any of these questions have been asked before.

I've recently gone bought a Brera 2.4jtdm (much to the disappointment to everyone in my family who all have German cars) but I'm the sort of guy that if I see something I like I will get it eventually because I'm stubborn like that ?.

The way I see it is that I have two options, but option one is relies on affordability and difficulty of the job at hand So here goes.

Option 1. Is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than option 2 which would consist of a decent remap and hopefully reach about 300bhp or close to. Obviously decat exhaust, a decent induction kit etc.

Option 2. Includes all of the abovebut I've been doing a bit of research on a few of the other models and noticed that on the 159 they made a 2.4jtdm Q4 version (4 wheel drive) but not on the Brera but I've heard that they are almost exactly the same chassis wise.

Do both of these cars have the same wheel base? If so how hard would it be to convert my Brera to 4 wheel drive? And if not would it be possible to source drive shafts, gear boxes and such from doner cars and fit them to the Brera? (E.g. Gear box from a 2.4 159 Q4 and the rest from a Brera Q4). I've heard that 4wd cars generally have beefier gearboxes so I'm guessing that the gear box will have to be changed if I want to do this conversion.

how hard are these parts/doner cars to come by? And how much would I be expecting to pay?

How much bhp can the car actually take if I do this mod but leave drive shafts etc as standard, I know the chassis is pretty much solid but would I have to strengthen it at all to reach about 300-350bhp?

Please help

Any advice is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

The Brera has a shorter wheel base but shares the same F40 gearbox (2,4 & 3.2 Q4) if you get the parts from a 3.2 Q4 from the breakers you should be able to fit eveything without problems i should think. Not sure if the electrics for the VDC/ASR would be tricky though.

Google Clogz Skunk Work, he has 300+ from his
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 28-10-15 Thread Starter

Hold on let me get this straight. The 3.2 v6 Q4 petrol shares the same gear box as the 2.4jtdm diesel? Are the bolt fixings that join the engine to the gear box located like for like? And will the gear box be able to handle a Diesel engine? I thought that taking into account the low end power and torque of a Diesel engine the gearbox would be stronger?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

3.2 has some torque too, they can take more even than what is standard. The F40 gearbox is in a lot of cars ( GM products). I should imagine all the necessary fixture holes are their just a transfer box, propshafts, rear diff, wheel hubs & drive shafts should be needed, & the rear subframe cross member for mounting the rear diff i should imagine. Someone should know more than me though about how to do this. The Gearbox believe it or not was made by LADA in Russia then bought by Fiat, Alfa, then GM so build really well

Last edited by IAMBRERA; 28-10-15 at 22:51.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

Depending on where you live Autolusso, Alfatune or Peak Alfa can do simple mods for around 800 remap ect. You should see 250bhp for that
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter

Does anyone know whether there are any differences for the engine mounts and would I have to find a bracket/subframe compatible for the transfer box?

And also would the current rear subframe be compatible for the diff? Would It bolt straight on or do I need to get a different subframe?
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
I've wondered about how hard this conversion would be for years!
I've attached two pictures, one is 2.4 F40 and other pic is 3.2Q4 gearbox, I happen to have a spare 2.4 F40 gearbox that I've used for one of the pictures.
You will notice that although they may share the same internal layout, the starter motor location and engine bolt pattern are different as well as the takeoff box bolt pattern too.

Gear ratio's are different from petrol to Diesel, 3rd,4th,5th,6th and final drive ratio's are all different.
So lets say, we could use the 3.2 torsen twin diff with diesel final drive ring, we still need to find a take off box to fit diesel gearbox bolt pattern.

Rear diff final drive is probably different too between 3.2Q4 and 2.4Q4.

So in short you really need to find a slavage 159 2.4 Q4 (good luck with that), use gearbox with takeoff box and mounts, front drive shafts too just to be sure, rear diff/cradle, rear drive shafts, rear hubs. Then see if a Brera 3.2 prop shaft will fit, if not have one custom made by someone like recoprop.

Hope this all makes some sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.2 Q4.jpg (103.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2.4 F40.jpg (98.9 KB, 8 views)

County: -Israel
propshaft

hi every one
do anyone know if there is a difference between alfa 159 2.4 propshaf and 159 3.2?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
24jtdm , alfa , brera , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page