How to Replace the Steering Wheel Badge 159 / Spider / Brera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By wrich01
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cornwall
How to Replace the Steering Wheel Badge 159 / Spider / Brera

Hi all. Quick guide on the mystery of how to change your steering wheel badge. I posted in a few places to find out if anyone had completed this before so went in blind today and completed it.
The original badges tended to fade and for those who didn't get them replaced under warranty then this is a pretty good way of smartening up your interior.

Tools required.
Replacement badge.
Type 1. Genuine Alfa (has four feet that insert into the airbag pad on the steering wheel).
Type 2. Aftermarket (no feet just adhesive and available in new logo, black (Giulia style), and traditional look. These are 40mm in diameter and available from Aliexpress and other eBay outlets. (If people are interested I may order a batch).
Flat headed screwdriver.
Craft knife (if going for option 2 badge)
Gorilla glue

Note. ***These instructions are for the second type of replacement badge. To refit an original it would seem best practice to remove the airbag from the steering wheel in order to bend the aluminium feet of the genuine Alfa badge into place.***

Step 1.
Disconnect the battery. As we all know the steering wheel badge is attached to the airbag and the horn. So to stop ****ing the neighbours off with the horn this is your first step.

Step 2.
Gently prise off the original badge with screwdriver. Be careful - you don't want to **** this bit up or its new airbag time.
Tip. The four feet that attach the old badge are located on the four diaganol axis. Start on the horizontal axis and gently prise the badge away. The feet fixing the badge are folded I at the back so do not rip this quickly or you risk causing damage.
The original badge is aluminium so the feet will fold out slowly.
Tip. Use masking tape to protect the airbag from getting scratched by the handle of the screwdriver or any accidental slips.

(Image to follow)

Step 3.
With the the original badge removed you will be able to mount the adhesive replacement, BUT you will need to first complete some essential prep work.
A). Flatten down the plastic that has been raised at the four diaganol soldiers where the original badges feet lived. This is simply achieved by gently pushing down with the flat side of the screwdriver head. WARNING! Do not do this with a vertical stabbing motion - you will likely go through the steering wheel and damage the airbag.
B). Using a craft knife cut away the raised plastic ring in the centre of the area that the steering wheel will be located. I found this was best achieved with a flat ended blade from a craft knife set, and will minimise the risk of slipping whilst giving the cleanest finish.
C). Clean the area and now dampen it with water. The gorilla glue goes on the (likely rubbish) adhesive pad on the back of the replacement badge.
D). Align new badge up on the steering wheel so you are happy it sits correctly then press down and hold for 5-10 minutes. You will then need to tape the badge into location for about 1-2 hours whilst the glue sets.

Step 4.
Remove tape and admire nice shiny new badge on steering wheel....... Oh and reconnect the battery.
(Image to follow)

159 2.2 JTS Lusso, Prodrive 245/40/19 - Dunlop SP Sport Max, Celtic Tuning Remap 213.7 bhp at the wheels (248 at the fly), Rev Limit removed, Pipercross Filter, Tri Halo headlight conversion #projecthalo
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

Alfa 2.2 Brera

I've gone the 2016 badge route and did the same I like the black and silver looks much more upto date.
Lord_of_beard likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , badge , brera , replace , spider , steering , wheel