Diesel Engine Diagnosis - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Diesel Engine Diagnosis

I have a 2.4 which has been in my local garage for two weeks. The owner is an Alfa and Lancia enthusiast who has serviced my Alfa's for many years. The problem I have is that when cold or at speed my engine performs flawlessly but at hot tickover it splutters and sometimes stalls, which is dangerous in traffic. So far we have replaced the EGR valve which was not 100%, no difference. A Bosch dealer tested the car and found cylinders 1&5 went crazy once the irregular tickover started. The two injectors have been removed and sent to Bosch to eliminate them from the problem. The tests were 100%. The main ECU's have had software tested or reloaded but the problem persists. We understand that cylinders 1 & 5 are used to balance vibrations out of the engine so I suspect that some sensor or part of the vehicle is ending a false message to the engine ECU but I am totally at a loss to think of what or why. Has anyone come across this problem before? We are at our wits end! Many thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
I had an issue with the injector plugs. Replaced the injector plug on cylinder 1 (i think) and all was right again.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Check for leaking swirl flaps, had the same issue - plugged them and now she's idling perfectly. And cleaned manifold.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

yeah id go with either swirl flaps or the injector plugs, you can get spare ones on ebay

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

diagnosis , diesel , engine