Brera experience to date - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 5 Post By Philjay50
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 05-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Brera experience to date

There seems to be some questions on the forum recently about buying a Brera so I thougt I would update my experience so far.
When I decided to sell my JTS 156 I started to look for a 159 or maybe a GT, the Brera was dismissed on cost. I decided rightly or wrongly to dismiss the GT as I thought it might be too close to the 156 from a driving point of view and I wanted a change. At this point I must confess to looking at all sorts of cars, anyway, a Brera diesel came along and in a moment of madness I bought it. I should point out that I wanted a diesel because the car will spend alot of it's life on the continent doing largish mileages. A concern I had straight away was the fact that the car had a highish mileage when I bought it, but it did have a full service history, new belts and water pump BUT not a new clutch. I had the EGR blanked off and an Alfatune remap, brilliant, by the way.
At this point I confess I still was not sure I had done the right thing, especially the diesel bit, I seriously hate the noise, although when you are batting along it is amazingly quiet.
Anyway, we have just used it for a trip down to the racing at Angouleme and then on to a place further south near Rodez.
So being used for the purpose I bought it for how did it go, well the answer is amazing, it eats miles, it covers vast distances without effort. Motorways, fast A type roads, it just eats miles. Sure storage space is lousy and we had stuff packed everywhere, but hey, we did that in the 156. For the geeks amount us I kept an account of fuel used, the numbers are quite interesting, well to me they are. Chester(home) to Portsmouth in very mixed traffic conditions I did 234 miles and got 39 mpg, not to bad I think. First stint in France, 324 miles to Angouleme, not hanging about, mainly on Motorways cruising in three figures most of the time I got 32mpg, a little disappointing, but thinking back there is a chuck of miles on fast A type roads that I chased along. Then on to Rodez, interesting drive, many hills and small roads, very mixed drive, but good fun, well I thought so, my wife was not so sure. I filled up after a few days down there, after a bit of running around, 525 miles in total and 38.9mpg, better.
During the next couple of weeks or so we did another 300 odd miles but only got 31mpg, shorter runs I guess.
So, the journey home, 510 miles to Ouisterhem, 34 mpg, not great BUT very mixed roads for the first 100 miles and then pretty much all motorway, believe or not my average speed was 63 mph, that included a stop for a pee.
We did another 247 miles home but as yet I have not filled to tank to get a final mpg.
In total 2132 miles, amazing performance from the car, no oil, water, used and and felt good after each stint. I love the car, it attracts attention, the chef in a restaurant we went to came over and chatted to me about it and in a local bar an Irish guy did the same.
To be honest, I have had more comfortable cars for long journeys, but none as much fun overall and none that could munch the miles.
The only drawback to me is it's a diesel, I hate the noise, but love the mix of performance and reasonable MPG.
Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I needed to share. Looking forward to the next trip.
Oh, as a final comment, after years of travelling on the dark continent I got a Tag for the Motorway tolls, no cost saving, but how much easier, excellent choice getting one.
matty74, xenkof, leraunch and 2 others like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , date , experience