Fior a while now I have been looking at different ways of getting more information out of my car to aid in managing the performance.
I have considered replacing all of my gauges with aftermarket expensive ones, integrating highly expensive race diagnostics and logging systens and decided against all of them.
OBD - Onboad Diagnostics has most if not all of the data I need but I find it cumbersome having to use an app on a smartphone and manually engage it.
What I really want is the car to display key data I select on my after-market double-din Screen, and have a whole bunch of useful fucntions such as reset service light, Proxy Alignmnet etc all as simple buttons I can push.
So far my basic wish list is:
- small device that can fit in the glovebox
- capable of displaying in VGA mode
- small rotary commander style controller
- multiple CAN-BUS and high level automotive interfaces
- GPIO for additional fucntions and sensors
- Visual Interfaces to display OBD data
- Ability to write and well as read CAN
So, this is formal notification that I am "going in"
The last time this happened we got Project Halo, so I apologise in advance to anyone that is already annoyed at my constant hacking of the 159
I'll post progress as I go and its all going to be based on open-source tech andsoftware so you will all be able to have your own versions should you want to.
Enjoy the ride!