Brera and 159 Aux and aux belt tensioner replacement - How to. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 5 Post By iaink
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-09-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Brera and 159 Aux and aux belt tensioner replacement - How to.

Thought id post this up - might be of help to someone - today were going to get rid of this horrible noise on the 2.4 5cyl engine.

Now im a Subaru man and the Alfa is my wifes car so go easy on me!

This beautiful thing:

This is what you will need - if you can let the belt rest for a week before the job - the smaller bearings will love you for it.

Jack up car then drivers wheel removed and the 2 tork head bolts out this will get you to the belt.

Slacken a half turn the bottom bolt on the bottom idler pulley.

Then slacken again a half turn on the hex head bolt inside the hexagonal part of the adjustable tensioner - i had to cut down a 6mm hex key to get to this as its real tight - be very carefull with this bolt its is crucial you do not round this off.

Next step is under the bonnet - carefull remove the maf sensor plug.

Then remove the 3 clips on the inlet hose and place it to one side.

Place some blue towel to stop anything falling into the inlet pipe.

Now lightly slacken the top tensioner bolt.

Now back under the car and draw the belt route - you have no idea how much hassle this sketch will save you .

At this point i would be confident enough to just cut the belt away - but to you show how the belt is changed put a 30mm ring spanner onto the hexagonal part of the adj tensioner and pull downwards - this will let you slip the belt of.

Once the belt is off remove the lower torx bolt on the lower pulley then the hex bolt then the top tensioner bolt - remove the adjustable tensioner through the bottom of the car - now throw it into the sea for all the hassle its caused you !

Rebuilding is the reversal of above but leave the top tensioner bolt out - get a glamerous assistant to go under the car and again put the 30mm ring spanner onto the hex part of the tensioner and push strongly up - this tensions the belt allowing you to put the top bolt back in.

When you put the inlet pipework back on put a small amount of petroleum jelly onto the inner faces - this makes assembly easy and seals it completly so no unmetered air gets into the system.

Ta Dah! - Hope this helps someone out.

What a difference - so much quiter and smoother.

Now back to my Subarus

Last edited by iaink; 20-09-15 at 08:40.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Croston Lancs
Just wanted to say thanks for this post as it helped me back on the road after my crankshaft pulley fell off last weekend.

Genuine Alfa Pulley was 107.90
Sealed Impact Driver was 104.95
1/2" Ribe Set was 9.95

Hardest part was cutting down a 6mm Allen Key with a dremmel, to gain access to the tensioner bolt.

Cheers, I'm back on the road
AO Member
County: Bergamo
Very helpful.

One question, there was a reason to change also the tensioner and not reuse ? I see you had already purchased the part before starting.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , aux , belt , brera , replacement , tensioner