Creaky wishbones? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cornwall
Creaky wishbones?

A problem I've had for a while on my 159 (2009) is very creaking suspension coming from the front offside when slow moving and turning right (sounds like an old busted up car), from what I've read on here i think it could be the wishbones(?) I've jacked the car up and tried moving the arm to see if it's knackered, but I can't see anything. I've asked a couple garages to have a look and they've always said "there are so many joints in there it could be anything" (not helpful). I've tried spraying some lubricant on it which helped for a couple of weeks then came back.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If I don't have to I don't really want to replace the upper and lower wishbones (just bought a house so pretty skint); I'm wondering if perhaps some powerflex brushes would help cure the problem?

Any help and advice greatly received!

You're not a true petrolhead until you have owned at least one Alfa - Jezza

My Fuelly
Sponsored Links
My Brera did this, turned out to be a lower ball joint. Not a service item, you have to replace the entire wishbone.
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Try and figure out exactly where it is coming from spray the suspect areas one at a time until the squeak goes away. For me it started just squeaking when maneuvering, then it got worse and would continue to squeak when the car was bounced on the suspect side. This was the upper arm ball joint. Was about 80 euro for a TWR replacement part.

Once you have figured out where it is coming Replace the part or do a quick fix for now (then replace later). The quick fix would be greasing the bush or injecting the ball joint with the correct grease (this would damage the boot but as it is a quick fix it should be replaced eventually...). Obviously if there is play in the joint don't mess around and just replace it its not worth messing around with safety. Replace it your self to save some money, its only nuts and bolts so don't be scared .
AO Silver Member
County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

It's just one of the quirks on these cars, even the powerflex sqeak eventually. It's more-than-likely your upper wishbones that are doing it. Turn the radio up & ignore it for now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

creaky , wishbones