A159 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-09-07 Thread Starter
A159 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Hi Everyone,
I have been lurking for a while, but now having just purchased an ď06Ē 6,000mile 159SW 1.9JTD Lusso, itís time to join in and share a few thoughts after just the 1st 1,000 miles.

The Good Ė
The driving position is excellent with fantastic electric leather seats and with everything easy to hand. The engine is a delight with quite sufficient oomph for me, quiet enough for a diesel and a really nice turbo? whine at low speed to offset the mild grumble. Gears are still a bit notchy, but I like the short shift and the ratios seem spot on. Inside the cabin the fit and finish are fine, with no rattles or squeaks and a general feeling of solidity not found on my previous Saab. At speed itís quiet, with handsfree calls a pleasure, with only the slight firmness of the 18Ē wheels to contend with, but they do look great, so what did I expect? The standard stereo sounds great and the trip computer thingy is one of the best I have come across. Best of all I like detail, such as the red downlights (as per Beemers) the lit speedo needles and the fact they even put fabric on the seat belt holders to keep them quiet. The interior is truly a delight but at night it positively glows.
Contrary to otherís experience the auto wipers and lights seem to work as intended and I rarely bother touching the climate control as just leaving it at 19 does the job whatever the weather.

The Bad- If only I could get those great seats an inch lower to stop my head brushing the ceiling. Any ideas?
The MPG!!!! I know itís supposed to be heavy, but I am currently getting only 39mpg (mainly motorway) where as the same driving style and route in my Saab 9-3 2.0t petrol gave me 36mpg. The tyres are pumped up and the trip checks with the miles per tank. I believe the diesel engine is also the same as the Saabís and users on their forum regularly report 50mpg, with a car weighing only slightly less. Am I missing something or will it improve magically when it gets over 10k on it?
The service manual for it is for a 156 so the intervals are wrong, so presumably there is one for the 159 I can get from ARUK?

The Ugly-Only joking, itís like a supermodel, but with manners and a penchant for a McBurger every now and again.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: A159 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

the mileage will properbly get a bit better, after 10 k km. But you shouldn't get your hopes up to high. Driving extremely cautiously you should be able to get around 42 mpg. My 1.9 jtdm has now 40.000 km, driving mostly at high speed on the autobahn here in germany I'll get around 37 mpg. Curising at 120 km/h with the cruise control set, I'll end up with 42 mpg.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

yes it is the same engine as the saab (the design in joint owned by fiat and GM) however you need to comapre like for like versions of that engine. the TiD came in a few varieties (same as the JTD did), the JTDm only came in the 150 spec for the 159, so we need to compare it ot the 150TiD for it ot be a fair comparison.

the 9-3 quotes 47mpg from the 1.9TiD 150
the 159 quotes 47mpg from the 1.9JTDm 150

as you may notice, they are identicle, and so they should be, the JTDm150 is exactly the same as the TiD150.

the TiD118 was far more common on the 9-3, the TiD150 was rare, so your average 9-3 TiD enjoys a quoted 52mpg. this will be why your 9-3 driving friends report 50mpg.

your 39mpg should improve, but not by a significant amount, and you will never get the quoted figure so dont even hope for 47mpg. fingers crossed you should get half way to it.
AO Member

I've covered 650 miles from new in 1.9JTDm SW and have averaged 36 mpg - admittedly a lot of those miles have been short runs just for pleasure or showing it off to anyone who shows interest! - I'm hoping it will improve.

Agree with all the positive comments on the interior especially the red down-lighters.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Just a few miles short of 40,000 and the best I can manage is about 42-45 to the gallon...And that's mixed driving...In town she is very heavy on diesel...at a guess I'd say no more than 35-38
Stop watching the clock and enjoy the car
Just watch other cars fall away thru the twisty bits...I love that, had a Passat up my Azz yesterday (they never learn) until I got to a nice twisty bit...But I did wait for him at the X-Roads so I could do it all over again
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire

Nice review - glad you are enjoying your 159

Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
The Bad- If only I could get those great seats an inch lower to stop my head brushing the ceiling. Any ideas?
Get shot of the electric seats.
AO Gold Member

We have a 2005 9-3 1.9 120 and a 2006 159 1.9 150 on the fleet.

Saab does 38-42, the 159 38-42, so there you go!

They both took 18,000 miles to break 42 though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

a159 , bad , good , ugly