Back in the Alfa
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
I had a bit of a puddle in the rear footwell last week, not only was the carpet floating but it was sinking too. Not amused. So today I've started the drying out process by stripping out the interior of the car. The carpets are now out and dripping dry very slowly. I'm not going to put them back in until they are bone dry and I've sorted the source of the leak. What I thought was only going to be the back footwell has turned out to be every section of the floorpan. Removal was quite straightforward and replacement should also be quite easy, no more than 90 minutes work I reckon.
First step was to disconnect the battery, I'm mucking about with airbag connections and don't want any unpleasant surprises!
Next item were the covers on the outside of the seat over the seat belt lower mount, unclip and slide up to remove, this exposes the mounting bolt which is undone followed by the two bolts in the seat rails at the back of the seats, tip up the seats and you have access to the electrical connections, pull the locking pins, remove the slide locks and they separate easily enough. With the headrest fully down and the seat folded forward both come out of the car. A little bit of force is needed to lift the rear seat squab, I've broken one clip but the other looks reusable. Once this is out remove the rubber door seals front and back and undo any exposed screws remove the plastic side trims. At the front the sill covers come off by popping out the bung at the front and removing the hidden screw (it's about the height of the bonnet release lever). The sill covers can then be lifted off. Next are four covers on the side of the centre console underneath which are 4 10mm bolts, undoing these allows the console to lift off the carpets. The B post covers have retaining screws that need to be undone and there are three plastic rivets that need removing at the back edge one the squab area. The rear section can then be lifted out. The driver's footwell carpet comes out after the clutch footrest is removed, there's one plastic rivet too on the cross member under the seat. Passenger footwell is easier as there's no footrest!
The job for this afternoon will be to mop the floorpan dry and then throw some old carpeting down to protect the exposed wiring. Then the seats can go back in and be reconnected before the battery is reconnected.
Before it all goes back together I'll also take the opportunity to replace the handbrake cables - they are a little worn but all this trip has to come out to do that job so it's probably worth doing now.
All the coins found under the carpet will help pay for that too! £7.80 under the drivers seat, 20, under the passenger and £1.05 under the rear squab!
When I find the source of the leak I'll spill the beans but it's not obvious yet! But it's gotta be the door seals, door bottom seals, something on the bulkhead, the zircon or the sunroof drains.... So many places to check!