1.9JTDm GT vs 2.4JTDm 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
1.9JTDm GT vs 2.4JTDm 159

My 159 is in for its first service so Ive had the pleasure of taking a 1.9 JTDm GT for the weekend and would like to give an objective appraisal of the merits of both cars.

I love the 159, but having driven the GT, IMHO, the handling of the latter is in a different league to that of the 159. Ok, I accept that the 159 is much heavier, but the GT still feels sooooo much faster, albeit less refined than the 159. The handling of the GT is exquisite, the steering is so much more direct and handling a but more neutral than the 159. It makes me think that if AR could put the 159 on a diet, they really could have a world beater. Also, the suspension of the GT seems so much more assured than that of the 159. I've found my 159 to be really grippy but wallowly along backroads- it can cope with any amount of fast turns but really struggles with undulating roads, whereas the GT keeps shouting 'bring it on'.

However, the 1.9 engine in the GT seems to reach the limiter about 1K rpm too soon for me in each gear for me and consequently seems to yell " see what a great engine Ive got? - well you're not gonna get the full potential out of it" Perhaps its the 1.9 engine?

Other pluses to the GT are the seats, they really hug you tightly whereas the 159 appear to be for the fuller figure However, IMO, the support for the upper leg is missing in the GT seats.

Downsides (which are very, very few IMO) for the GT are the cabin noise and the relatively poor finish of some plastic components in the cabin (eg, those covering the door mirrors towards the A pillar and those covering the finishing edge of the door towards the rear part of the cabin).

All in all, if i was single or childless, it would be the GT hands down, but ideally with a 2.4.

However, for me the 159SW just shades it for me in terms of practicality. Any 159 Ti owners care to comment if they feel the Ti has made the 159 more GT like?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.4 TI

Re: 1.9JTDm GT vs 2.4JTDm 159

Hi Mhollywood

the seats in the GT i love and over the standard 159 seats i would pick these everytime. The seats in my TI suit me better as i am fairly slim i tend to slide around on the standard 159 seats which i found you sit on rather than sit in. The TI seats hold me in place pretty well.

The suspension on my 156 1.8ts veloce was great as it came fitted with the sport suspension. handled the corners great with little body roll. the downside being that it was a bit scatty over broken surfaces and unforgiving over pot holes or road imperfections.

when i changed to the face lifted 156 2.4jtd lusso i loved the car but hated the suspension it rolled more in the corners and you felt like you were riding a space hopper on really bumpy roads.

when i test drove the 159 lusso i found the suspension was a little firmer than the 156 lusso but still wallowed on bumpy surfaces.

Having owned my 159 TI 2.4jtd for a little over a week now, i can safely say that the handling is great, it loves cornering with very little body roll. the downside is that a combination of the sports and lowered suspension and the 19 inch low profile tyres make the ride a little crashy at time but having said that i would not swap it for the softer ride.

The other thing of note with the seats is they are very bulky which limits your view when your reversing and probably gives less room in the back but i'm not to fussed about that either.

yes the 159 is definately a bit flabby at the moment. the 210 bhp engine in the latest ones makes up a little for this as it brings it back in line with the outgoing 156 2.4jtd 0-62 times. i think they do feel a lot more solid as a result of the extra weight.

There isnt even 1k miles on mine yet so i am sure it will loosen up a bit yet as it still feels slower than my 156.

The turbo is set to kick in earlier on the 159, im guessing its a smaller turbo as it seems to run out of steam sooner. the 156 used to still pull well in 6th on the motorway and could easily change lane and overtake. its not quite got the same pick up at high speed on the 159. Overall i am more than impressed with the 159 TI spec.
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

The 159 has a more "quality, grown up feel" but lack some of the Alfa's usual fun factor. The ride of the newer cars is sooo much better though.

They don't do a 2.4 GT but a mild remap (185 is about perfect) makes it a very tempting proposition, even for a petrol head like me (and her).
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire

I'm a little surprised by the comments on this thread. I acknowledge the GT is probably the best handling car in the current Alfa range but after tackling some testing roads in Perthshire today I can vouch for the handling of the 159 in the company of a GT 1.9JTDm, two 145 Cloverleafs, two 156's and a GTV 3.0 V6.

The 159 surprised me today; I knew it was good, but today's drive blew me away. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

And if you don't believe me ask the others that were on the AOS run today
AO Gold Member

The GT is much less stable at high speed than the 159, though agree, more chuckable at low speeds and with less apparent inertia on all the inputs.

GT like all the 156/147 family, starts to creak and groan early doors though as the bushes wear.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , 24jtdm