159 Timing Belt Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 09-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Question 159 Timing Belt Replacement

Hi,
I was wondering what kind of a job it is to replace the Timing Belt on a 159 Ti 2.0L?
I plan on replacing the timing belt and pulleys including water pump etc.
Just to put you in the picture, I've always done my own servicing etc with all my cars over the years, I'm not so fond of getting may hands dirty these days, but I'm a bit cautious of who touches my Alfa and I'm not keen on paying main dealer prices.

I was wondering if special locking tools are essential on this model or can it be done without.
If so are there any special detail I should pay attention to?

Appreciate any advice please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: South East
I am going to be doing this myself in the next month or so. I soon as I am don I will let you know how it goes unless you get there first.

Just as a point I have bought the locking kit off ebay for 19 delivered I have been told it is the same as the Vauxhall GM 1.9 CDTI engine. So fingers crossed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 14-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'm going to bite the bullet and get it done this weekend.
Locking kit ordered from ebay, hope they are the right ones.
I just find the information available on the 2.0 litre engine a little vague? Am I correct in the assumption that Vauxhall use the same engine and its simply a variant of the 1.9 jtdm???
I recently had to replace the EGR heat exchange cover and I looked under the bonnet of a colleagues' Astra 2.0l, and its the same.

Could do with a few pointers just in case there are certain things to be aware of.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted on how things go. (could do with a You Tube tutorial if anyone knows of any for this model) I haven't managed to find the exact one yet.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 14-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A Romeo View Post
I'm going to bite the bullet and get it done this weekend.
Locking kit ordered from ebay, hope they are the right ones.
I just find the information available on the 2.0 litre engine a little vague? Am I correct in the assumption that Vauxhall use the same engine and its simply a variant of the 1.9 jtdm???
I recently had to replace the EGR heat exchange cover and I looked under the bonnet of a colleagues' Astra 2.0l, and its the same.

Could do with a few pointers just in case there are certain things to be aware of.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted on how things go. (could do with a You Tube tutorial if anyone knows of any for this model) I haven't managed to find the exact one yet.
First stumbling block, what the hell type of screws are holding on the upper cam belt cover???
Sort of torques but squared points (if that makes sense).
Any ideas please!
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

They are called Ribe but as they are not too tight I,ve used a torx, I think the cam covers are a 40torx, the 4 bottom pulley bolts are the same.
And yes it is the same as a 1.9. I havnt done a belt on a 2.0 Alfa but did one a few weeks ago on a 2.0 insignia and it was the same as my 1.9 159
AO Member

I managed to change the timing belt without any special tools...
First you need to take off the cover under the car...
And make sure that you put something strong under the engine block, then you need to remove the engine mounting on the left side of the engine...

Frist use 19mm tool to place the crankshaft and cam to the marked position on the camshaft...
After that most important thing, if you're doing this without special tool, use permanent marker and mark the spots on the camshaft and crankshaft... Now you're safe if something goes wrong and crankshaft or camshaft rotate unexpectedly when you take of the belt.

Now the rest of the job is easy, just reamove tensioner and take of the timing belt...
Then remove three screws that holds water pump and using a hammer gently knock the pump out...
All the water will come off when the pump comes out...
Then put the new pump, roller and tensioner in place and only timing belt left...
Put the timing belt and tighten the belt tensioner...
And thats it... job done...

Please, my advice to everyone... Carefuly inspect the crankshaft pulley, because a few days ago I had a case that my crankshaft pulley broke(whole engine and everything around was in the mess of the pulley paste), and my engine got out of sync. Good thing is my engine managed to survive, the vacuum pump was broken only... Spend $113 for parts...
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Yes it is doable on a running engine to do the belt without the special locking tools, I have done my own cars a few times and just marked the cam and crank but now as the locking set is only about 16 its not worth it.
If you just mark the pulleys and put it back how it was before you are assuming it was set correctly before.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 15-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks to all for your most valuable information.
I feel a little more confident now and I'll let yo know how it goes in the next few days.

Thanks again!
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
Yes it is doable on a running engine to do the belt without the special locking tools, I have done my own cars a few times and just marked the cam and crank but now as the locking set is only about 16 its not worth it.
If you just mark the pulleys and put it back how it was before you are assuming it was set correctly before.
Would it even be possible for it to be wrong, without causing obvious problems when running?
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mike View Post
Would it even be possible for it to be wrong, without causing obvious problems when running?
When i tried to put locking tools on mine - it was 2-3 teeth out. Was running fine(i think).
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangerlv View Post
When i tried to put locking tools on mine - it was 2-3 teeth out. Was running fine(i think).
This is why the locking tools are essential, you wouldn't have known your engine was out of time if you hadn't used the tools. Part of the job of replacing a timing belt is ensuring the timing is correct, in my opinion.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
I agree, but how do you know, that crank pulley hasn't been moved by a bit? Has it got allighning pin?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangerlv View Post
I agree, but how do you know, that crank pulley hasn't been moved by a bit? Has it got allighning pin?
Yeah the crank pulley is keyed onto the crank. I've had many where the bolt won't go through the timing tool into the crank pulley, just 'half-a-hole' out, never 3 teeth like yours.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 20-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

DID IT !
It took a good part of Saturday, but its all done and dusted.
Whilst I only have just under 36,000 miles on the clock my 159 is coming up 5 years old this September, so I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later (even though it's recommended at 4 year intervals if you're not doing the mileage). The old belt was in fairly good shape still, however the water pump showed signs of leaking so it was good timing for the change I guess.
I would just like to thank everyone for their tips and the best advice I would give anyone is definitely take your time and double check everything!
Use the locking tools if at all possible (I know it can be done without), but also as a belt and braces measure, mark every pulley.

Cheers Guys!

Last edited by Mr A Romeo; 21-07-15 at 12:39.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , belt , replacement , timing