android headunit nu3001 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 51 Old 17-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
android headunit nu3001

ordered this headunit last week, came yesterday.
so far have just been playing with it, updated to the latest rom etc. also changed the boot logo to an image of a brera

https://youtu.be/HgCKqYHVVxw

more info on the unit itself
New 4.4.2 Kitkat Head Unit (Newsmy Carpad NU… | Android Auto | XDA Forums

gotta wait for my fitting kit to arrive, then should be fitting it sunday/monday. cant wait
Philjay50, cskals and TheHappyBear like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Zilinsky
4x25w amplifier?
barnz2000

Let us know how you get on with this, I would be interested in one of these if they are any good

(Post Link) post #4 of 51 Old 28-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

bit of an update

so im off for a few days, so got round to sorting a few things.
fitted a new parking sensor, while i was at it fitted the reverse cam.
have stripped the dash, and test fitted the headunit in the cage.

one thing that should be mentioned about this headunit that isnt widely mentioned: the front face of it is slightly larger than the usual double din aftermarket units, so the new fascia trim needs a bit of work to fit. not too much of a problem for me, will be using the dremel on it.

will finish the fitting tomorrow and add a video and more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20150628-WA0006.jpg (44.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20150628-WA0003.jpg (76.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20150628-WA0001.jpg (151.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20150628-WA0021.jpg (61.6 KB, 158 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 51 Old 03-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

fully fitted.

ran the wires for the rear cam down the passenger side, under the door rubbers. got the power from the back of the headunit, theres a dedicated rear camera 12v wire which means you can choose to view the rear cam whenever you want, rather than just when reversing if you tap into the reverse light power which was my original plan.

the fascia provided a bit of a challenge. in the end i cut off a lip at the bottom which allows it to sit flush on top of the front of the headunit. doesnt block any buttons or the screen, as theres a bit of a border on the face of the headunit already. looks pretty neat. had to use double sided tape to hold it on. pic of what it looks like currently attached.

its working pretty well. boots up really quickly (imo anyway) and ive been tethering my phones data to it so that i can use deezer for my music.

one downide is that i found removing the vents harder than i thought itd be. i broke off most of the fins on both vents. i managed to rebuild one of them, but i seem to have lost quite a few fins on the other so ive got to order a replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYWV7XUaiU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20150630-WA0013.jpg (109.6 KB, 182 views)
JabawokJayUK likes this.
Club Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
There is a trick to removing the vents for future reference.

Get 14" of coat hanger and bend in half to create a U shape with about 2" of curve. The last 4mm of wire on each end should be bent over with a pair of pliers to make small snag / hooks.

This new "tool" can be threaded through the lowest fin and will hook the rear of the vent and allow you to pull it out from the back with no damage.

samisnake likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samisnake View Post
fully fitted.

ran the wires for the rear cam down the passenger side, under the door rubbers. got the power from the back of the headunit, theres a dedicated rear camera 12v wire which means you can choose to view the rear cam whenever you want, rather than just when reversing if you tap into the reverse light power which was my original plan.

the fascia provided a bit of a challenge. in the end i cut off a lip at the bottom which allows it to sit flush on top of the front of the headunit. doesnt block any buttons or the screen, as theres a bit of a border on the face of the headunit already. looks pretty neat. had to use double sided tape to hold it on. pic of what it looks like currently attached.

its working pretty well. boots up really quickly (imo anyway) and ive been tethering my phones data to it so that i can use deezer for my music.

one downide is that i found removing the vents harder than i thought itd be. i broke off most of the fins on both vents. i managed to rebuild one of them, but i seem to have lost quite a few fins on the other so ive got to order a replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYWV7XUaiU

Hi i'm really interested in this headunit but considering the price compared to say, a song equivalent, I've always been skeptical.

Do you notice a drop in quality design or user interface at all? does it switch between inputs (aux to cd for example) slowly or anything like that?

Any advice is much appriciated as it's much MUCH cheaper to buy an android than the branded equiv.
Cheers.
(Post Link) post #8 of 51 Old 04-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysjones View Post
Hi i'm really interested in this headunit but considering the price compared to say, a song equivalent, I've always been skeptical.

Do you notice a drop in quality design or user interface at all? does it switch between inputs (aux to cd for example) slowly or anything like that?

Any advice is much appriciated as it's much MUCH cheaper to buy an android than the branded equiv.
Cheers.
Hi,
youre right to be skeptical. i was before i bought it.
there is no branded equivalent. well apart from the parrot asteroid smart which was my original intention before i bought the car.

at the price point (i paid 280 delivered inc taxes/fees) youd be looking at a sony/kenwood/pioneer which had a cd player/dvd player, ipod connectivity bluetooth etc, but thatd be it. no android os, no installing apps, low resolution screen.
the app radio by pioneer is terrible. thats around 320.
the parrot asteroid smart is stuck on android 2.something, has a smaller screen, outdated cpu and ram, and limited apps unless you root it and install playstore but by that point the thing slows right down.
this thing has gps, bluetooth, a decent screen, quad core cpu, 1 or 2gb ram and it has a massive user base on xda. hardware wise it cant be beat atm. the build quality is pretty good. my only real negative is that the the front face is slightly larger than standard double din units.

this unit has its faults, but atm its one of the best android options out there. no lag between switching inputs (theres no cd btw), and because its android the UI is whatever you want it to be (some might see that as a negative tbh).
JEB likes this.
AO Member

County: South East
Hi the pics look good, but I when to see the YouTube video but it says it is private so it does not play?

Where did you get it from Ebay?

Thanks
AO Member

County: Kent
No DAB? How rubbish is the SatNav compared to a proper TomTom/Garmin &c...

Sometimes, they don't have postcode search...
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Now that the UK have committed to continuing FM radio DAB is not essential.

I have just bought and fitted this unit to my son's 147.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3015457119...255223ec9&cp=1

All I can say is that I am astonished and everything seems to work exactly as it should and it is quick and responsive. I am a little bit nerdy and am amazed at what you get for the money. Don't procrastinate just buy it!

The only negatives are:-

1) The SatNav doesn't have post code search it is town, street and property number or road crossing only. I am not sure if that is a limitation of the supplied (free) maps or the iGo software. Other SatNav software can be installed and might fix that.
2) The RDS is sometimes slow to bring up station names. That might be crap 147 aerial or it might be where I live (only tested on my drive) and I do know reception here isn't great.

Regards sound: my son's is Bose and it seems fine to me. The head unit has 9 frequency graphic equaliser so is quite tunable for your own taste.

Finally; DO NOT get confused with WinCE and Android devices especially as some WinCE device are being advertised as Android. Android units trounce WinCE in all respects.
disgusted likes this.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 06-07-15 at 14:13.
AO Silver Member

Bluetooth works perfectly for both music and phone. Full transfer of phonebook to the head unit.

CD / DVD seems to play anything.

Two micro SD slots one is for the GPS maps (free) and the other is for music using any compressor (flac is my favourite) you choose.

To me it is just astonishing. Yes there my be the shortcoming that it doesn't do postcode search (or can that be fixed) but the whole really is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

My wife now wants one for the 159!!
disgusted likes this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 51 Old 04-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy19 View Post
Hi the pics look good, but I when to see the YouTube video but it says it is private so it does not play?

Where did you get it from Ebay?

Thanks
hey, cheers for letting me know, have set it to public now.
i ordered it from aliexpress, direct from the seller in china.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgusted View Post
No DAB? How rubbish is the SatNav compared to a proper TomTom/Garmin &c...

Sometimes, they don't have postcode search...
as its android, you can install any satnav app you want.
waze, tomtom, sygic etc are all options

think of it as a smartphone or tablet in your dash
AO Silver Member

Install google maps. That will find anything if it is connected to the web including postcode search.

Other mapping services are available
disgusted likes this.
AO Silver Member

Or read this. If you must have TomTom or equivalent install their app.

Best Android satnav apps | Smartphones and tablets - Feature - PC Advisor

Or read this:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...-nav-apps-2015
AO Silver Member

Unit fitted to 147. If you don't like silver controls take them off and spray the black to match the Alfa controls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0088(Small).JPG (115.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085(Small).JPG (115.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0086(Small).JPG (115.4 KB, 56 views)
AO Member

County: Budapest
looks nice!

But the ad says this HU is not CAN bus compatible. To my understanding this means no steering wheel controls
AO Silver Member

You can purchase an adaptor for canbus.

Connects2 CTSAR002.2

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 06-07-15 at 14:17.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
Now that the UK have committed to continuing FM radio DAB is not essential.

I have just bought and fitted this unit to my son's 147.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3015457119...255223ec9&cp=1

All I can say is that I am astonished and everything seems to work exactly as it should and it is quick and responsive. I am a little bit nerdy and am amazed at what you get for the money. Don't procrastinate just buy it!

The only negatives are:-

1) The SatNav doesn't have post code search it is town, street and property number or road crossing only. I am not sure if that is a limitation of the supplied (free) maps or the iGo software. Other SatNav software can be installed and might fix that.
2) The RDS is sometimes slow to bring up station names. That might be crap 147 aerial or it might be where I live (only tested on my drive) and I do know reception here isn't great.

Regards sound: my son's is Bose and it seems fine to me. The head unit has 9 frequency graphic equaliser so is quite tunable for your own taste.

Finally; DO NOT get confused with WinCE and Android devices especially as some WinCE device are being advertised as Android. Android units trounce WinCE in all respects.
links down any ideas of the model number or anything? as long as i can get steering wheel controls i'd be very interested
AO Member

Quote:
Hi,
youre right to be skeptical. i was before i bought it.
there is no branded equivalent. well apart from the parrot asteroid smart which was my original intention before i bought the car.

at the price point (i paid 280 delivered inc taxes/fees) youd be looking at a sony/kenwood/pioneer which had a cd player/dvd player, ipod connectivity bluetooth etc, but thatd be it. no android os, no installing apps, low resolution screen.
the app radio by pioneer is terrible. thats around 320.
the parrot asteroid smart is stuck on android 2.something, has a smaller screen, outdated cpu and ram, and limited apps unless you root it and install playstore but by that point the thing slows right down.
this thing has gps, bluetooth, a decent screen, quad core cpu, 1 or 2gb ram and it has a massive user base on xda. hardware wise it cant be beat atm. the build quality is pretty good. my only real negative is that the the front face is slightly larger than standard double din units.

this unit has its faults, but atm its one of the best android options out there. no lag between switching inputs (theres no cd btw), and because its android the UI is whatever you want it to be (some might see that as a negative tbh).
it does look great also!

When you say it's bigger does that mean you can't get a surround for it to look tidier?
AO Silver Member

AO Silver Member

Note the canbus adaptor that I quoted may need furthe work to fit. On the Android that I linked to the SWC are individual fly leads; they are not on a connector. It will be possible but not quite plug and play. Connects2 do supply an adaptor for "Chinese" units but I don't know how generic they are.

The key bit is the little box that converts canbus to analogue, the rest can be made to work but may be more or less difficult depending on the unit and lead used.
(Post Link) post #23 of 51 Old 07-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nari View Post
looks nice!

But the ad says this HU is not CAN bus compatible. To my understanding this means no steering wheel controls
they do some headunits specifically for certain brands, like VW and hyundai, where they are canbus ready out the box. just plug and play, and itll show that your door is open etc on the screen.

with a connects2 adapter (and the chinese headunit patch lead) you can use swc. you can see me using them in the video in one of my eariler posts.

i also have illumination working (when you turn the headlights on, the screen dims and the touch buttons on the left light up), and when i put it into reverse, the headunit automatically shows the rear cam.

Quote:
it does look great also!

When you say it's bigger does that mean you can't get a surround for it to look tidier?
the headunit front is a few mm bigger than the inside hole space of the fascia surround. so that means you either have to enlarge the opening of the surround with a dremel or take it somewhere professional to be done (i did email a few cnc places, but they either ignored me or wouldnt do it) or do what i did and have the fascia ontop of the headunit face. you can see the finished result in the photo in post 5
AO Member

Quote:
they do some headunits specifically for certain brands, like VW and hyundai, where they are canbus ready out the box. just plug and play, and itll show that your door is open etc on the screen.

with a connects2 adapter (and the chinese headunit patch lead) you can use swc. you can see me using them in the video in one of my eariler posts.

i also have illumination working (when you turn the headlights on, the screen dims and the touch buttons on the left light up), and when i put it into reverse, the headunit automatically shows the rear cam.

the headunit front is a few mm bigger than the inside hole space of the fascia surround. so that means you either have to enlarge the opening of the surround with a dremel or take it somewhere professional to be done (i did email a few cnc places, but they either ignored me or wouldnt do it) or do what i did and have the fascia ontop of the headunit face. you can see the finished result in the photo in post 5
Have you got a link for the adapter that makes steering wheel controls work with a brera? they're a MUST imo,
Thanks
(Post Link) post #25 of 51 Old 13-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Have you got a link for the adapter that makes steering wheel controls work with a brera? they're a MUST imo,
Thanks
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...e-adaptor.html with the ctbosslead patch lead

i would say that swc arent really all that necessary, or should i say useful, on a headunit like this. other than for the volume all of the controls are really on screen as there are so many different apps etc.
so changing radio stations on your swc might not work for spotify as they might use different commands.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
android , headunit , nu3001