android headunit nu3001 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by samisnake View Post
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...e-adaptor.html with the ctbosslead patch lead

i would say that swc arent really all that necessary, or should i say useful, on a headunit like this. other than for the volume all of the controls are really on screen as there are so many different apps etc.
so changing radio stations on your swc might not work for spotify as they might use different commands.
Thanks so much !

I agree, but to me volume on the steering wheel is essential, I'm that lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
How's the nu3001 holding up? Considering one myself and after some real life experience from someone who's lived with one for a while?
(Post Link) post #28 of 51 Old 22-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
How's the nu3001 holding up? Considering one myself and after some real life experience from someone who's lived with one for a while?
its going well.

everything i need it to do, it does it fine.
its fast, and as im streaming music using deezer, i find i listen to a lot more different types of music than i used to in the car.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
My son's unit is also continuing to perform flawlessly. Well he did have one issue where the volume buttons ceased to work but press the reset button and all back in working order.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
I have been looking at the 159 specific android head units, but they are a lot more expensive. This nu3001 seems to be better equipped and a lot cheaper. Should I contact newsmy directly, is that how the owners on here got them?
Sorry for being dim, but am reading this on my phone and pages are not loading well.
(Post Link) post #31 of 51 Old 24-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buska_1976 View Post
I have been looking at the 159 specific android head units, but they are a lot more expensive. This nu3001 seems to be better equipped and a lot cheaper. Should I contact newsmy directly, is that how the owners on here got them?
Sorry for being dim, but am reading this on my phone and pages are not loading well.
the nu3001 actually works out more expensive, once you factor in the wiring, fascia, cage etc.
what it has going for it is the specs and the dev support.

bought mine off of aliexpress. read the xdadevelopers thread linked to in the first post. has all the info you need
AO Member

Garage
GoGoGo

Quote:
its going well.

everything i need it to do, it does it fine.
its fast, and as im streaming music using deezer, i find i listen to a lot more different types of music than i used to in the car.
Thanks for the update Sammi - Right I've bitten the bullet and ordered the headunit from Sammy on Aliexpress. Im pretty sure ive got my head round most bits but hoping to get the last few questions answered:

1) Which SWC adaptor ... https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...e-adaptor.html seems to be mentioned a little or https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alfa...tsar002-2.html its a tenner more but seems to have a magic black box? And mentions phone buttons...

2) I've got B&M - do i relocate it? or just remove it? will the dash flash? Can I fix the dash flashing with a proxy alignment - I have an adaptor and fiat multiscan software.

3) The radio antenna - is it amped? do I need an adaptor? will it work without? pretty much only care about radio1 FM.

Thanks in advance
Evo

Living, Learning and loving Alfa.
(Post Link) post #33 of 51 Old 03-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update Sammi - Right I've bitten the bullet and ordered the headunit from Sammy on Aliexpress. Im pretty sure ive got my head round most bits but hoping to get the last few questions answered:

1) Which SWC adaptor ... https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...e-adaptor.html seems to be mentioned a little or https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alfa...tsar002-2.html its a tenner more but seems to have a magic black box? And mentions phone buttons...

2) I've got B&M - do i relocate it? or just remove it? will the dash flash? Can I fix the dash flashing with a proxy alignment - I have an adaptor and fiat multiscan software.

3) The radio antenna - is it amped? do I need an adaptor? will it work without? pretty much only care about radio1 FM.

Thanks in advance
Evo
1) i went with the CTSAR002.2, but both will do the same thing. they both have the black box. the phone button should work on both (as the headunit allows you to map buttons).
2) commonly asked question. most relocate lower down the dash, but you can remove it completely but youll need to do a proxy alignment to stop the dash flashing.
3) i bought an adapter. looks like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Amplif...item3a7fa6e717 connects to a 12v wire (think i used the remote wire). even if you dont get a amplifier, youll need an adapter as the car uses iso and the headunit is din.

what value did you ask them to declare for customs?
good luck with the fitting. any q's just ask
AO Member

Garage
Ah bugger. Customs good question. Didn't mention it so I assume I'll get stung?
(Post Link) post #35 of 51 Old 04-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Ah bugger. Customs good question. Didn't mention it so I assume I'll get stung?
quickly message them and ask to put $100 value for customs. youll get charged 20 on this side.
i forgot as well, asked them to do it the day after and they did. they take a day or so to ship it out.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I'd be careful asking for that.... Oops, got lost in transit, declared value $100, here's your insurance refund, sorry for any inconvenience sir....
AO Member

Garage
I've had her mark it as a gift so all being well I won't get charged sometimes works!
AO Member

Quote:
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...e-adaptor.html with the ctbosslead patch lead

i would say that swc arent really all that necessary, or should i say useful, on a headunit like this. other than for the volume all of the controls are really on screen as there are so many different apps etc.
so changing radio stations on your swc might not work for spotify as they might use different commands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
Now that the UK have committed to continuing FM radio DAB is not essential.

I have just bought and fitted this unit to my son's 147.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3015457119...255223ec9&cp=1

All I can say is that I am astonished and everything seems to work exactly as it should and it is quick and responsive. I am a little bit nerdy and am amazed at what you get for the money. Don't procrastinate just buy it!

The only negatives are:-

1) The SatNav doesn't have post code search it is town, street and property number or road crossing only. I am not sure if that is a limitation of the supplied (free) maps or the iGo software. Other SatNav software can be installed and might fix that.
2) The RDS is sometimes slow to bring up station names. That might be crap 147 aerial or it might be where I live (only tested on my drive) and I do know reception here isn't great.

Regards sound: my son's is Bose and it seems fine to me. The head unit has 9 frequency graphic equaliser so is quite tunable for your own taste.

Finally; DO NOT get confused with WinCE and Android devices especially as some WinCE device are being advertised as Android. Android units trounce WinCE in all respects.
did you have to modify the fitting kit in any way for this unit? I'm intending to fit it to a brera
Does it allow you to use apps such as spotify and google maps on the screen itself?

I cannot believe what you get for your money with these chinese units
(Post Link) post #39 of 51 Old 12-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysjones View Post
did you have to modify the fitting kit in any way for this unit? I'm intending to fit it to a brera
Does it allow you to use apps such as spotify and google maps on the screen itself?

on the nu3001, you have to modify the plastic fascia trim that you purchase for the car. mentioned it on the last page somewhere.

you can use any android app. there is full access to the play store. i personally use deezer with a subscription (tether my phone to the unit for the data) and waze for maps.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysjones View Post

on the nu3001, you have to modify the plastic fascia trim that you purchase for the car. mentioned it on the last page somewhere.

you can use any android app. there is full access to the play store. i personally use deezer with a subscription (tether my phone to the unit for the data) and waze for maps.
Hi - me again everythings here now. So just lookin to start, what's the deal with the cage? Did you replace yours with the one that came with the fascia? Herd some people mentioning just breaking out the divider ...
AO Member

Garage
Well it's all in just need to sort the illumination, reverse and swc cabling and I'm done. That and find a way to lose all the adaptors behind the unit!
samisnake likes this.
(Post Link) post #42 of 51 Old 23-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Well it's all in just need to sort the illumination, reverse and swc cabling and I'm done. That and find a way to lose all the adaptors behind the unit!
a bit late now, but yeah i used the cage that came with the fascia.

the cabling part is the easy bit!
congrats
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
a bit late now, but yeah i used the cage that came with the fascia.

the cabling part is the easy bit!
congrats
I thought it wasnt too painful - although my only query is where do i pick up the illumination signal from? Is it canbus from the adaptor? cant see it on the CTSAR2.2 thingy... or is it somewhere on the original loom and i just need to wire it in - seems to be floating loose on the H/U loom.

Lastly - there's a LOT of cables to fit behind the head-unit almost amazed that this thing will ever slide fully in!

Thanks again for all the help, support and information.

Evo.
(Post Link) post #44 of 51 Old 24-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
I thought it wasnt too painful - although my only query is where do i pick up the illumination signal from? Is it canbus from the adaptor? cant see it on the CTSAR2.2 thingy... or is it somewhere on the original loom and i just need to wire it in - seems to be floating loose on the H/U loom.

Lastly - there's a LOT of cables to fit behind the head-unit almost amazed that this thing will ever slide fully in!

Thanks again for all the help, support and information.

Evo.
itll come off the connects2 adapter.
cant remember which colour wire it was, but i do remember that it wasnt a hard find or anything.
you dont need to touch the original loom for anything, do everything on the adapter side.

i shoved some of the wiring blocks down into the passenger side footwell (as well as the android box). plenty of space, and makes it easier to access the android box by pulling off the panel in the footwell if you were planning on mounting it behind the headunit.
AO Member

Garage
Sorted it's all in a working brilliantly - found a message on an install guide that said the GPS receiver could be mounted behind the glove box but didn't seem to work. Couldn't get a signal. Currently it's in the middle of the dash till I make it more permanent.

Found the illumination wire it's in the block on the adapter where it should be but for some reason the wire is loose from the headunit not in the block.

All good though with wheel controls, illumination, and reverse wire all connected very pleased with it all. Can highly recommend.
(Post Link) post #46 of 51 Old 26-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Sorted it's all in a working brilliantly - found a message on an install guide that said the GPS receiver could be mounted behind the glove box but didn't seem to work. Couldn't get a signal. Currently it's in the middle of the dash till I make it more permanent.

Found the illumination wire it's in the block on the adapter where it should be but for some reason the wire is loose from the headunit not in the block.

All good though with wheel controls, illumination, and reverse wire all connected very pleased with it all. Can highly recommend.
brilliant!

i put the gps antenna behind the drivers side A piller cover. just pull it off (pause) and you can stick it to the bodywork as its magnetic, then feed the wire down between the dash and the bodywork, over the top of the pedals to the back of the headunit.
(Post Link) post #47 of 51 Old 19-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

have just ordered a usb dongle for DAB radio, and a dongle for DVB-T freeview. fitted a focal ibus 20 underseat sub last week as well, which has transformed the sound in the car. fits under the drivers seat, but sticks into the rear footwell, but seeing as how my seat is all the way back and noone can sit behind me, its not an issue and cant be seen.

have only just ordered the DVB-T dongle, so havent tried that, but the dab dongle came last week and needs a better aerial, so ive ordered a windscreen glass mount one that according to one of JabawokJayUK's posts works well (even if it is a little unsightly).
gonna use the same aerial for both the dab and dvb-t dongles, so have spent the last few hours working out which splitters and adapters i need. the aerial is smb female, the only smb splitter i could find was all female, so i had to order an smb male to smb male for that. the dab stick uses mcx, so a mcx male to smb male so it can attach to the splitter. the tv card uses regular pal tv coax aerial, so an smb male to tv aerial adapter was also ordered (hardest adapter to find out of the lot).

the dab dongle is not meant for dab specifically but is a pc freeview stick using a chipset that can be used for radio frequencies, and someone made an app and driver for android so it can be used on android using Wavesink. example video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuiZeMIP7M

the dvb stick is the t230 which is a full sized stick, not the small ones meant specifically for android. works with the padtv app. example video using the same stick and app im gonna use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6GiNXkZFI

even though im used to android on my phone, it still suprises me what can be done on these android headunits.
i wouldnt use dvbt or dab on my phone, but in a car setting, it makes it very cheap and very easy to upgrade and add features. on a regular unit, adding dab or dvb wouldve either bumped up the initial purchase price into the near 1000 mark, or the optional add ons wouldve been too expensive. adding dab and dvb to this unit has cost me a total of no more than 35.

dont intend on using the dvb regularly tbh, but its nice to have. have been toying with the idea of adding a webcam for a dashcam, just dont feel the need atm
AO Member

County: West-Vlaanderen
Garage
Quote:

have only just ordered the DVB-T dongle, so havent tried that, but the dab dongle came last week and needs a better aerial, so ive ordered a windscreen glass mount one that according to one of JabawokJayUK's posts works well (even if it is a little unsightly).
what aerial did you order ? I gave up on searching for a good windscreen aerial for dab.
(Post Link) post #49 of 51 Old 20-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

pioneer an-dab1
Haven't got it yet, but will let you know how it goes
wowie likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
pioneer an-dab1
Haven't got it yet, but will let you know how it goes
https://youtu.be/5cHB_pfCgHI

just fitted the aerial and the dab/dvbt adapters.
initial thoughts are that the dab works fine, but the dvbt needs an amplifier. doesnt work well on the move at all (not that i would actually watch it while driving, but yeah). stationary its pretty good, but does have the occasional picture break up now and again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
android , headunit , nu3001